Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD formatted for Mac, but Macbook suddenly not recognizing i

• Please log in to reply

crpm0043

crpm0043

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So, I have a Seagate external hard drive, formatted for Mac OSX, and has worked fine with my Macbook Pro for months, until the other day, my (idiot) friend connected it to my PC, and now all of a sudden my Macbook doesn't recognize it at all. It doesn't even turn on as i plug in the USB anymore, which it's supposed to automatically even when the computer i'm connecting it to has trouble recognizing/connecting to it. Is there a way to fix this, or is the drive broken? And if so, is there a way I can still retrieve all the files on the drive? I have ALL my work on it...

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Looks like Windows put its own files on your hard drive and took ownership of it. It seems to do that. :)

Not much you can do but uninstall the driver for the hard drive on Windows, then disconnect it. Then take it to the mac and try it out.

crpm0043

crpm0043

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Looks like Windows put its own files on your hard drive and took ownership of it. It seems to do that. :)

Not much you can do but uninstall the driver for the hard drive on Windows, then disconnect it. Then take it to the mac and try it out.

but my pc doesn't recognize it either!

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Have you tried the add hardware wizard on Windows...to maybe get it to be recognized? It is located in the control panel.

Also, you can try slaving the hard drive to try to remove what files are on it, then resetting the hard drive manually.

If you need help doing any of this, please let me know!

crpm0043

crpm0043

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you tried the add hardware wizard on Windows...to maybe get it to be recognized? It is located in the control panel.

Also, you can try slaving the hard drive to try to remove what files are on it, then resetting the hard drive manually.

If you need help doing any of this, please let me know!

lol, yeah, definitely could use some help with the 'slaving' if you don't mind. never done that before.