Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touchy HDD

• Please log in to reply

Trox88

Trox88

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So im back again messing with my computer. My problem before with the blinking underscore at boot appears occasionally but i can get past that by fidgeting with my connections to the HD. The problem I'm suspecting is my HDD has hardware faults. The system reads the drives as healthy, but CHKDSK cannot be ran in windows only from boot, C drive is a pain to save and load files off of but capable. I'll list my system specs and go further into the problem after. I've included the specs in the attachments along with a picture of the CHKDSK scan hanging during windows. (scan after restart works and shows no errors)

The problem is while my D drive works now, which im using currently. Its very temperamental about how its laying....For example if i put it back in the sideways HDD mount it doesnt load period and hangs at the blinking underscore after bios no safe mode available along with a HD light on constant. Laying flat nothing different.

The way i have it set up now is my slave © drive is attached putting strain on the power connections between the two HD's resulting in the drives to load. Solo the D drive with the MBR works with a slight angle but it loads VERYYYY SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
I'm just curious if this sounds like a hardware fault to where i could crack open the case and push something back to where it belongs or if this is going to be one of those jobs that could cost more then its worth >.<

as for my second problem i know its very slow when it comes to loading for example a low requirements game off of the c drive (previously worked on my computer), running chkdsk hangs in windows, and defrag is a lost hope and stops at 14%. Would a fresh install again fix this any?

Attached Thumbnails

• System_spec.JPG
  • C_Drive_Scan_HANGGG.JPG

Edited by Trox88, 07 May 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you get a new cable for you hd if it is a IDE drive. If it is a SATA drive then buy a new SATA connector. That may take care of your problem.
I would try the cables first and then if no improvement then we can work on a repair installation.
Also try this:

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Trox88

Trox88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've got a few cables to swap laying about ill give that ago, ill check out the defrag and let you know how it all goes. Thanks again :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a different system then before.
Emachines before and this is a Gateway
Last system had a 120 gig hd
this has a 230 gig hd.

Other system had :
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

this system has:
Windows Xp Home Edition SP3 build 2600

Not sure but this doesn't seem to be the same system with a new problem.