Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Do People Have Issues Uninstalling AVIRA Antivir?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi,

My AVG 7.5 updates have stopped indefinitely. I get a nag screen asking me to install 8.5 which I will not do because it slows my system down to a crawl. I already tried it...

Anyways I want to replace AVG with AVIRA ANTIVIR but before I do so I want to know why is it that so many people claim to have issues uninstalling it? I need to know just in case I choose to uninstall it if it's not to my liking. My pc skills are moderate so I would assume if it's not that tricky I could try uninstalling it myself. Just let me know what those issues are before I actually consider installing to take this risk.

Even reviews on cnet.com say it's tricky to uninstall but why? It's the #1 software on cnet.com and just beat AVG for the first time ever.

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 07 May 2009 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I don't know why, but I don't think it's a major problem. However, there's always the Uninstall Package.

Jaug

Jaug

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Just a warning.......I had trouble uninstalling the older version of Avira Antivir, (I wanted to install the new one). I had the problem that everytime I tried to install the new version it would tell me I still had some of the old version and it could not install.

I downloaded the Removal tool.......well the tool is a registry tool. It listed some registry entry's that did not belong to Avira. I told the experts at Avira about this and was told go a head and remove everything that was listed.

I tried to tell the folks at Avira that it was not a good idea and very bad advice telling people to remove everything this registry removal tool found. They never replied to that.....I wonder why?? :)

I used the research abilities that I have been learning at GU to research every registry line the removal program wanted to delete. I was really not to worried about the registry due to the daily backup that Erunt does.

After about 90 minutes of research and a little luck I was able to delete the correct entries.

I did try to leave a nice warning in the Avira forum as to how dangerous this tool could be.

As I mentioned the removal tool did find 4 registry entries that did not belong to Avira. I am not sure if this is and was the case with everyone who uses this tool.

Just wanted to pass this on....as we all know messing with the registry is a :) No...No. :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Registry fixes will be needed and if done correctly shouldn't be very hazardous. Back-up with ERUNT, and make system restore point. edit: If you are not sure of a registry fix, always ask BEFORE!

And before we start battling about the AVIRA AntiVir removal tool, we should take a step back and look at it again. Not all people will need to use it anyway.

Edited by piano9playa5, 10 May 2009 - 03:49 PM.

Jaug

Jaug

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
You are most definitely right, piano9playa5. :) Most folks will not even need the tool.

I just wanted to pass on my hands-on experience with the removal tool. Might I also add that I am just as pleased with the new AVIRA Antivir as I have been in the past.