Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cyclical Redundancy Check

• Please log in to reply

chassc

chassc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
All of a sudden my cross fire 120gb portable drive is giving me a Cyclical Redundancy Check error when I try to open, copy or delete a folder. After that, or , but only on certain folders. I can click on the same folder later in the same session and different message "Invalid MSDOS function:, "the disc in Drive G is not formatted", the file is "inaccessible". I can neither delete nor open any of these foldrs.

My question is, do I need to reformat the CrossFire, or is there some way to delet the offending folders?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My question is, do I need to reformat the CrossFire, or is there some way to delet the offending folders?

Reformatting is always a last option.

Can you see the drive in My Computer? If so, right click on the drive > Properties > Tools and under Error-checking click Check Now. Ensure both boxes are checked and select Start. You may be prompted to allow the check during the next boot, so allow it, then reboot. Alternatively, you can run chkdsk from the command prompt using the command:

chkdsk x: /r (where x is the drive letter of the drive under test)

If that is a large drive, the process can take many hours to complete. The computer may appear to be totally locked up. Let it sit. Depending on many factors, not just disk size, more than a day is possible. Once started, the process should not be interrupted, so I start it before bed and most of the time it is done in the morning.

I note the MS KB Article ID: 187941 - An explanation of CHKDSK... states the following,

Rather than attempt to predict how long CHKDSK will take to run for a given volume on a given hardware platform, suffice to say that it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days -- depending on your specific situation.

Note - If this were me, I would pull the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a motherboard disk controller. I do not put much faith in USB, or USB external enclosures to ensure zero interruptions for many hours on end.

Once the process is complete, your hard drive should be working properly, and the corrupt folders will either work, or be renamed and ready for deletion or (maybe) data recovery.