Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

avast! & firewalls?

• Please log in to reply

shaly777

shaly777

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have avast! on my computer now.
But I know they say you should have three things:

Firewall;
Anti-Virus;
Anti-Spyware.

Which of these does avast! cover and is there anything I still need?
THANK YOU!!! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast is Antivirus
Comodo is Firewall or Windows has it's own already
Superantispyware is Spyware
Malwarebytes is for Malware

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 May 2009 - 07:31 AM.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
So, I still need to enable Windows Firewall and get some spyware then...correct?
Cuz I already have avast & malwarebytes....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are correct 100% :)

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok Thank you...and I'm sorry to keep bothering you...I know it's Friday and all...but I ran the SUPERAntiSpyware program and it said it found 12 items, and I opted to remove them and then it said I needed to reboot for it to take effect, so I did....and then my computer kept clicking off. It would get past the Dell page then to the Windows music (doo, da da doo dada dooooo..ya know) :) and then click back to the black screen and start all over with Dell, then Windows and it did it a couple of times like that...but it never got to my log-on page...then it went to a screen that gave me the option to retry Normal Mode or to go into safe mode...SO, I tried normal, but it didn't work, so I did safe mode and ran malwarebytes and it found only 8 items on quick scan, but they were pretty much the same as what SASW had found, so I removed them via malwarebytes and when restarting, tried normal mode again..this time it worked. But, I'm wondering what that might've been caused by? It kinda worries me, cuz I'm thinking something must still not be right....or could it just be the Superantispyware isn't compatible with my computer...OR WHAT?
Forgive me if this is something simple or obvious and I'm missing it....I'm brand new to this, but I wanna learn :)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you provide any details as to what the two programs have found and removed?
If they are Cookies then its no big deal.
It sounds more serious then that. I would suggest that you:

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well,Ok...Actually I'm already in the process of waiting to have my OTLI & Extras looked at...
http://www.geekstogo...09-t238258.html
And while I was waiting on them I just wanted to go ahead and see if I had all the proper protection on my PC...cuz last night Bronti had sent me to that page and I did all that stuff and then my computer seemed to be running GREAT! But he told me I should go ahead and get those logs so you're malware guys could be sure everything was gone, and like I said I wanted to go ahead and make sure I was fully protected. Cuz I didn't know if avast had EVERYTHING I would need...but after I did the SUPERantispyware it messed up like that. So, that's kinda spooky!! Don't ya think? :) Suggestions?
Oh and also as far as what were the items superanti found...most were trojans and some adware...nothing was found in memory...6 in registry and 8 in files...so it was 14 in all.
Does this help any?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it is strange but a infection can do that. I caught Virut back in January and it caused em to have to format my system after backing all my data up and start fresh. My system has run completely clean and no problems since Win 98 SE came out. I'm one of the lucky ones though.
I will continue to monitor this topic and if once the malware techs have cleared you then we can work on other ways to help you out. :)

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
:) THANKS!

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I'm cleared! :)
So far so good...we may close this topic now...
THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you tell if it was a virus causing your problem after all? It may help future members with a similar problem if they read this topic. With that being said I am pleased to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yes...I'm sure it was a virus. Here's the link to my issue:
http://www.geekstogo...09-t238258.html
But I can honestly say that the thing that really helped me was this:
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

The ATF was great! And malwarebytes also really found alot of stuff. The problem I think originated from a combination of LIMEWIRE and a less than adequate McAfee! So....You guys helped me IMMENSELY...and I think you're all great for doing this stuff for people at no charge! I will donate...and I will try to donate everytime I use ATF!

Much Love to yall!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well congratulations and I am happy that everything resolved itself with just a few steps and the help of the great Malware staff. Thank you for donating and please come back if you have any other problems. :) :) :) :)