Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DATA IS INVALID MESSAGE WHEN INSTALLING USB

• Please log in to reply

holmezzi

holmezzi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi There

I am at my witts end and putting in a big call for help!

I run windows XP home edition SP3 on my Dell 2400 Dimenson. About 6 months ago, when i went to add any new usb device (Memory Stick, Camara, Controller ect) I get the "cannot install device, data is invalid message".

The USB devices that i installed prior to this still work fine, in all 4 USB hubs.

I thought i had sussed it the other night by changing the permission settings in reg key edit, as i managed to conect my new mobile phone to the PC, Sucess i thought!

Today i have a new USB flash drive, and i am getting the same message again. I have re installed all of the device drivers for the PC, but cant think of anything else????

I am crying out for help here, so if anyone knows of a solution, please please give me a shout, and i will be forever in your debt!

Advertisements