Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rear mic input not working

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I bought some new headphones yesterday (Plantronics Audio 325 - basic headset with mic) to play with online gaming, however when I plug the headphone mic into the read mic input, there's nothing.

I've gone through sound manager, both for Windows and the Realtek HD manager. I've checked online but I can't find any support for this.

I'me running the headphones through the Logitech speakers with the headphone socket, they're hooked up to the speaker out at the back of my PC, no problems there.

I really don't know what to do to fix this, can anyone please help?

Advertisements

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Anyone please??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the wait as we are very busy

Have you checked the properties of the volume control in windows to make sure the microphone is turned on and not muted?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Sorry for the wait as we are very busy

Have you checked the properties of the volume control in windows to make sure the microphone is turned on and not muted?

Yes, I've checked the windows mic volume for muting and volume. I've also checked the audio driver manager for similar settings. After any adjustments I make the result is still the same: no mic active.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Thanks for your replies.

I did as you said and expanded all the boxes in the device manager. I had a careful look but there are no entries with yellow exclaimation marks or red crosses.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok this might sound trivial but are you sure the mic is plugged in the right connection on the back of the system?
Also on my camera I had to setup the microphone within the software that came with it.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Not at all, it's good to cover all bases. I double checked just now, and also tried wiggling the input from the mic and pulled it in and out a couple times whilst speaking into it. Nothing.

There wasn't any software that came with the headset, just plug 'n' play.

Edited by Jaekus, 09 May 2009 - 07:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok and there is nothing on the headset to turn the microphone on and off I take it?
With that I would say the microphone isn't working. To make sure you can try it on a friends system and see if it works. If so then we can continue looking but I'm not seeing anything right now that is causing a problem.
You might go:

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then check to see if there is anything there that might relate to microphone. If so and it isn't checked then check it and restart.

Let me know what you find out.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok so I just tried it in my flatmate's computer and it is most definitely working. I really don't know what to do from here.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Control Panel
Then to Sounds And Audio Devices
Now click on the Voice tab and in the {voice Recording[/b] box does it show your Sound Card
If not open the Drop Down Menu and select your Sound Card
Click on Test Hardware to make sure it is working
Click Apply and then OK

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 May 2009 - 08:29 PM.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok I think we're getting somewhere. The mic is working but the volume is very low. I've got it maxed out where I can for the input but it's still extremely quiet. I have to physically place the mic to my mouth so it actually touches my lips and talk loudly to hear anything at all. In the mic test it either didn't pick it up or distorted. Nothing like this happened on the other pc I tested the mic on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm check your volume control again to make sure it didn't change. Look for the following in the attached pics to amke sure they are set also now. The pictures came out backwards so the one on the right is wrong.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 May 2009 - 09:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the second step from above.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've played around a bit and I think it's going now. The volume hadn't changed but after I undid and reset things it seems to be fixed. Weird, but a good result.

Thank you very much for your help :)