Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Conneting two wireless routers(Linksys and Verizon fios)

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and yesterday Verizon (upon upgrading to a faster version of fios) took away the old regular d-link non-wireless router and replaced it with a Verizon Actiontec MI424-WR wireless router. The Linksys wireless router is in my room so that I could use wireless to play my Xbox and use my laptop wirelessly, I also use the Linksys router as a standard router. So with the original setup I was plugging an Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the D-link non-wireless router and plugging the other end of the Ethernet into the WAN port on the Linksys. I connected wirelessly to the Linksys and plugged an Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the Linksys to my desktop pc.

Now with this new wireless router I can't just go from its LAN port to the Linksys WAN port. I have been able to configure my Linksys with the Verizon wireless router to act as an access point so the Linksys will act as a wireless extension of the Verizon router, by going from the Verizon routers LAN port to a LAN port on the Linksys router. This means though that I can't create a wired connection to my desktop.

I have tried setting the two routers to different IP addresses (Verizon 192.168.1.1) (Linksys 192.168.1.2) and they have the same subnet mask. I tried setting the DHCP server IP address to be in different ranges so the Verizon would only go from 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.102 and the Linksys from 192.168.1.103 and up. This still did not allow me to use my Linksys router as a regular router. So right now I have DHCP turned off and I am using the Linksys as an access point, which means my desktop has no connection to the internet.

Is there any way I can connect my Linksys to from its WAN port to a LAN port on the Verizon Actiontec wireless router and be able to use both as wired and wireless routers, not just one as a router and the other as an access point?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Darken1, 08 May 2009 - 03:53 PM.

Advertisements

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried it today and it seems to work fine now. So it would seem that bridging the two wireless routers will allow you to still use the second wireless router as a regular router even though there is no cable plugged into the WAN port.