Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or No Connection

• Please log in to reply

Harley1983

Harley1983

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I work on an offshore ship and I am having some problems. Here is a rundown of the scenario

I have brand new Compaq Presario, with Windows Vista. When I unplug my ethernet cable from my desktop in my office and plug it into my laptop, it says Limited or No Connection. But get this, I tried the LAN cable in 3 other rooms on the ship and it worked fine and I got online. Here are the only variables. The 4 other lines that I connected to ran straight to the networking router on the ship. The line that runs to my desktop (the one that will not work for my laptop), is split and shared with another computer in my office (It is a Dell running Windows XP Professional). Could that be the problem? I know it can not be the computer because it works fine in other places on the ship.

Should I try to unplug the line running to the other computer in the office and try it? What are your thoughts. I have tried advice from various forums such as:

Turning off firewalls
Disable and Enable the connection
Running a Repair

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Harley

Advertisements

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
what do you mean the ethernet cable is "Split"?