Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB devices not opening

• Please log in to reply

Reece1

Reece1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not able to get into my flash drive or phone's memory card via usb.

Recently, after I cleaned my computer of some malware my usb ports aren't opening mass storage devices. My optical mouse works fine in the ports. Also, I checked in device manager and the flashdrive and blackberry do show up under USB controllers. But are not listed under My Computer.

Additional information: After trying to figure out what the problem was for days I decided to just go and grab a USB PCI adapter. I didn't know if this would work but I just thought hey its worth a shot. In the end, I had the same problem. The devices were being recognized in device manager, but wouldn't open up or be assigned a drive for further viewing.

Possible things that I think might have caused this:

1) After cleaning my computer I decided to update all of my drivers. I used radarsync. During the process of updating my computer crashed. Don't know why. I then reinstalled all of the USB drivers to no avail.

2) I ran combofix at the end of the cleaning process. Not really sure if this is a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Reece1, 08 May 2009 - 05:39 PM.

Advertisements