Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!--Newly Erased Drives Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

NADC

NADC

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

This is my first time posting, and I hope you all can help me out.

I just bought a refurbished computer (Dell Precision 670, Dual 3.2ghz 2gb DVD/+RW 2x73gb SATA) and the disks were wiped clean.

I'm trying to install my win xp sp2 operating system.

The problem is that the system starts to boot, it seems to recognize that the two drives are there initially, then in halts and states that there are "no boot devices available".

I'm assuming the disks need to be formatted and partitioned. I formatted both drives, but that didn't help.

I've tried to load the XP cd, and after it goes through it's initial setup and asks if I want to install XP, it states that there are no drives.

I'm know I need to set up the drives / raid / and/or controllers. But this is my first time venturing through this neck of the woods.

I've worked on my own computers over the past 15+ years, but this is all new to me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I can't get in touch with the company that sold the computer till Monday, and I'd really like to get this up and running before then.

Thanks,

NADC

"Few things are more dangerous then teaching our children to be mediocre...banks are one of them."

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you change the boot sequence in the bios to see the cdrom first?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

Based on your comment....

I've tried to load the XP cd, and after it goes through it's initial setup and asks if I want to install XP, it states that there are no drives.

, I would bet you have SATA drives.

EDIT: Missed the 2x73gb sata.

During the install process you will be asked if you need to install 3rd party drivers. This is where you tap the F6 key to install them. Of course the drivers need to be on a floppy and you need to have a floppy drive. This is an issue /after thought and limitation of XP and SATA.

You will need to slipstream the drivers in to a new "image" and then use that to continue the install.
Most will use NLITE to slipstream.

NADC

NADC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice.

I did change the boot sequence to read the cd first. sata next, then the other drives and then floppy. After SATA and the other drives it reads (NOT PRESENT)

One note, when the XP install process begins, I tried to press the F6 key a few times, but nothing happens. It would just continue to load the other files. The F2 option would work and send me to the prompt "insert diskette".

AS FOR THE FLOPPY DISK:

The new machine has a floppy, but none of my other ones do. I'll need to swap it back and forth from the machines in order to be able to use it.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what does "slipstream the drivers to a new image" mean?

Thanks again!

NADC

"Few things are more dangerous then teaching our children to be mediocre...banks are one of them."

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You are going to use Nlite and then use your XP cd as you have it. During the Nlite program you have many choices to not install things like media player, and install additional programs like malwarebytes. These become part of a new image. The new image is now your install CD. You can also make it unattended install where you do not have to watch the install and choose your settings or type in your license.

NADC

NADC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks 123Runner,

That makes much more sense.

Am I correct in assuming that I will use Nlite program on my working pc to create the new image/ install cd that I will then use on the other computer?

Again, excuse my ignorance on this point.

Thanks,

NADC