Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

severe sound issues

• Please log in to reply

seashine

seashine

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there,

I hope someone can help...this problem is driving me nuts.

I can hear sound through my speakers when playing tunes through windows media player. I can't however, hear anything through my system (IE if I go onto sound and audio devices in control panel and select event sounds, the play button is unresponsive, yet if I browse, I can play the files in Windows media player) and finally, I cannot hear any sound from the internet. (youtube etc)

I have tried regedit wavemapper etc but that doesn't work. I have check all volumes and everything seems normal but still no sound. I have also uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. I have also tried reinstalling my flash player

I am running XP with service pack 3. I have a DP35DP board and sigma tel HD audio.

Thanks and I look forward to to some sound advice (excuse the pun!)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to Control Panel. Select the Classic View, and double-click on "Internet Options"
Go to the "Advanced" tab
Then scroll down to "Multimedia"
Check the box "Play sounds in webpages"

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Edgw2022,

Thanks so much for the suggestion but that box was ticked already. Any other suggestion?

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So how this for a twist... I have sound in MSN messenger, but still no event sounds or sounds on youtube

jksdelver

jksdelver

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I may be wrong but I think I had sound problems with Utub videos and it was a flash player problem. I updated and they have been OK since

Although when I try to edit photos on Photobucket it tells me that I need the latest update for FF, when I have it installed , When I try to down load it again in IE it locks IE.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Although when I try to edit photos on Photobucket it tells me that I need the latest update for FF, when I have it installed , When I try to down load it again in IE it locks IE.

Can you explain that problem more clearly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So how this for a twist... I have sound in MSN messenger, but still no event sounds or sounds on youtube

Go to
Start and then to Control Panel
Go to Sounds and Audio Devices
Click on the Sounds Tab at the top
In the Sounds Scheme make sure there is a Scheme chosen and if not Open the Drop Down Menu and pick one.
At the bottom of the window you can pick a sound for exampleExit Windows and then click the Right Arrow to play that sound. If you get sound then you are on your way. :)
Click on Apply and then OK

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank youe for you suggestion but that doesn't work... the test button is greyed out... funnily, I can hear those event sounds through windows media player... Anymore suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

I'm looking for specifically anything under Sound and Audio Devices

In your next reply please include those results

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried that already! No yellow exclaimation marks whatsoever! It's seems as the driver is loaded fine and that everything is in order...but still no sound!

Advertisements

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried that already! No yellow exclaimation marks whatsoever! It's seems as the driver is loaded fine and that everything is in order...but still no sound!

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

seashine

seashine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

jksdelver

jksdelver

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Have you tried the flash player update?