Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Start Up Issue

• Please log in to reply

JustinN

JustinN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys.

Over the past few days I've been encountering a few problem with my PC and was wondering if you could help?

My problem started earlier in the week when I noticed my browser searches were being redirected to other search engines and other websites.

Upon some research I discovered this was a Malware virus.

I ran Antivir , Spybot and also cleaned the registry but the problem still persisted.

I then researched further and found out that " Spyware Doctor " could remove it.

I downloaded the software , ran a check ( and probably stupidly ) purchased the software.

Upon a reboot my PC logged in fine , but then logged straight abck out again.

This was weird as it had never happened before..

For some stupid reason I set a password ( easy to remember ) in a quest to possibly solve the problem.

Now however , when I start up the PC it asks me for my password and I go type it in but my keyboard won't let me type anything and I get the message " System Halted , must shut down "

The only keys I can press are F12.

Is this a common problem ?

Thanks for your time reading this , it's gratefully appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It appears you may have a malware problem.
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here