Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Better Performance with Worse Card, What the...?

• Please log in to reply

Rogan

Rogan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok i recently brought a new motherboard because my former one was giving me 3-4 second spikes every 20~ seconds in team fortress 2, around the same time a friend sold me a 2900XT which upgraded me from a Winfast PX7600GT so i was happy bout that.

the thing is after its been installed i have been getting worse performance on Team fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, and Counterstrike Source, in say.. CSS with my former card i was getting 110~ FPS with medium settings, with the 2900XT im getting barely over 30 with LOW settings.

in L4D i was getting perfectly acceptable FPS with my old card to the point where i wouldnt get any lag what so ever no matter what was on the screen, with this new card if anything gets into melee range it drops the fps to about 20 and stutters like all [bleep], DXDiag reports nothing is wrong with the device and if i run a Video card diagnostic tool like DX9 Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting i get over 120 FPS even if i try and stress it hard.

Ive installed the card onto a fresh reformat since i had to reformat for the new motherboard and i havnt exactly installed anything other than those games there other than MSN / Ventrilo, I downloaded the latest driver update from the ATI Website.

My Current Specs are.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86Ghz
2Gig DDR2 Ram
2900XT

Former specs were.
"
"
Winfast PX7900GT

Heres my DXDiag for any further system spec questions
http://rapidshare.co...DxDiag.txt.html if you know a place that it can be uploaded too where it can be downloaded more than 10 times ill be happy to reupload it.

umm, yea i dont know whats happening but im just about ready to get my former card installed and try and throw this card up on ebay to get some of my money back because it doesnt seem to like me.

Advertisements