Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VERY slow startup, maybe because of processes?

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have more then one antivirus surely you must remove the extras. However, my understanding, from your first post, was that you installed the malware programs to fix a slowdown problem you already had. Am I right?

Advertisements

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That's right, I had some malware problems earlier, but I think now that's all cleared up!

I feel like the slow-ness now must be due to the 60 process running. Isn't that unusual? Does it make sense for me to suspect that is the problem?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I only have 40 processes running right now, so 60 seems like a lot to me. To support that many processes you need more RAM. Running more than 1 anti virus suite can take up a lot of memory.

Like rshaffer said you need one of every one of these

Anti Virus ~ Norton (full version) or Avast should do
Anti Spyware ~ SuperAntiSpyware is good for this. http://www.superantispyware.com/
Anti malware ~ MalwareBytes works for this. http://malwarebytes.org/
Firewall ~ Norton has a firewall built in. I am not sure about Avast. You could also use Comodo if Avast doesn't have a firewall. http://personalfirew....com/index.html If you decide to use Comodo, then remove Avast since Comodo is also an AV suite.

Go to Start -> Run -> msconfig
Then go to the "Startup" tab.
Take some screenshots of all your startup items, and attach those pictures to your next post.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

It was rated the best security suite by PCWorld this year.

Only, if people from Symantec were counting votes :)

meggo
Listen to rshaffer61
It doesn't matter, if you disable extra AV programs from startups. The programs still will be installed, and some services will be running.
You have no idea how deep some AV programs build themselves into Windows.
So deep, that you have to use some special tools to remove them.
Running more than one AV program is simply asking for troubles.

If you want to keep Avast, uninstall Norton using this: http://service1.syma...005033108162039, and uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

But afterall, it's your computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

That's right, I had some malware problems earlier, but I think now that's all cleared up!

If you're not sure...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

I feel like the slow-ness now must be due to the 60 process running. Isn't that unusual? Does it make sense for me to suspect that is the problem?

We told you exactly what your problem is, so there is no reason to look for the problem, where it doesn't exist.
60 processes is an acceptable number, and then you have to remember, that some of those processes come from AVG, and Norton, which should be uninstalled.

I'm not going to argue here anymore. As I said, it's your computer, and your decission.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Only, if people from Symantec were counting votes

:)

Yes, you should uninstall all but one security suite. Keep Avast if it suits you.

60 processes is an acceptable number, and then you have to remember, that some of those processes come from AVG, and Norton, which should be uninstalled.

I usually only have 35-40 running, so 60 seemed high to me. AVG and Norton should go as suggested by Broni.

Also (as suggest by Broni) go to the Malware Forum and make sure you are 100 clean.

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, awesome guys, thanks.

I'm going to go to the Malware forum, make sure malware really isn't my problem. Once I know for sure that is not an issue, I'll uninstall everything except Avast. Again, thanks for all the help, I couldn't do any of this on my own.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, you have uninstall those other AV programs BEFORE you start dealing with malware people.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes...
Please do that now.

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, I'll get rid of everything except Avast, right?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes. Then go to the Malware Forum.
Use the uninstallers Broni mentioned in post #19

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I removed the other programs, and I already see a huge increase in computer speed - my processes are down to only 49.

Thanks so much guys, I think I'm all set.

You are my heroes!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see that this has been sorted out. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad you went along with our advice :)
I'd still go to Malware forum to make sure your computer is clean.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I'd still go to Malware forum to make sure your computer is clean.

Might want to do that to finish off this issue.