Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound at all

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I have no sound. Windows media player, iTunes, system sounds, nothing is producing any sound. I have a C-Media AC97 audio device. Even though everything looked good in the device manager as far as drivers ect is concerned I downloaded and installed C-Media drivers. Still nothing is heard. I had done a repair because I lost all svchost services. I have everything working now except the sound. I just don't know how to fix something that says it's not broken.
Any ideas? :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 May 2009 - 11:19 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Reinstall chipset driver.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Ok so I didn't tell you everything about my computer. I have had this thing for 4 years. It was built with a Sound Blaster Live sound board but for some reason that never has shown up in the device manager, only the C-Media which I believe is on the MB. Only the C-Media shows up in the device manager.

When rshaffer61 said the check the connections on the back I did. It is pluged into the SB card (always has been).
I thought what the heck let me plug it into the C-Media thing and see... well it works. It probably always did - BUT it has been pluged in to the Sb card for... ever and it worked there until my repair. Looks like I will try installing SB drivers and see what happens. I'm not kidding when I say there is no mention of an SB card in the device manager. I'm not I tell you. Thanks for the point in the right direction rshaffer61

Geeks to Go rocks!!!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which sound card do you want to use? If SB then you will need to disbale onboard thru BIOS
If onboard then take out SB

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I thought disabling the onboard card required jumpers. In BIOS you say huh. I just do not understand why I had sound when I plugged into the SB card. Not that it really matters as long as I have sound. Kind of weary on trying to change something that is working right now.... Maybe I will play around with it though. What do I have to lose :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You had sound on the Sb probably cause you installed the drivers that came with it. I'm not sure other then that.
If you want directions for making the changes in Bios if you chose that route let me know and I can include them for you.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Yes I would like to make the change in the BIOS.
One other thing --- I was going to install the SB Live drivers from the installation CD and the auto run came up with something like No hard ware could be found. I know that SB card is there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Onboard Peripherals and find the Sound line. Highlight that click Enter
Now follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to Disabled.
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Let me know if everything now works ok

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
It worked like a charm. Installed the SB drivers and the speakers are working from the SB card. Thanks for the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations for a successful resolve to your issue. With that I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible