Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro will not install on laptop

• Please log in to reply

revi

revi

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am at a complete loss as to why I’m unable to install Win XP pro onto my laptop.

I have an ACER Aspire 5100. The original OS was XP home but this as been wiped.

I have an authentic Win 98 disk and a XP pro upgrade disk from Microsoft.

I can successfully load win 98 but with limited support as the Aspire 5100 was built with XP and Vista in mind. Every time I try and install the XP pro update, it freezes after first reboot and sits stuck on “starting windows"

I have the disk with all the Drivers on but cannot load this in Win 98 as the wrong OS keeps popping up. I’ve tried turning off power management in Win 98 but still no luck.

Any help will be well appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

The original OS was XP home but this as been wiped.

What was the primary reason for it?

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello there Broni,

I believe that there was some type of virus which corrupted the OS. My brother then done a format of drive C: but then found that the only disk that he had was the recovery Disk for the hardware Drivers.

As I‘ve got the win98 and it’s XP Pro upgrade disks, I thought that there would not be a problem installing them. I couldn’t be more wrong.

I’ve spent hours trying to install this thing because it was purchased second hand and there is no operating disk (only the Driver one) I don want to send my Brother out to buy another operating system when the fault could be with the Machine.

Revi

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd do two things.
1. Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi, or Seagate tools.

2. If hard drive test checks out, try cleaning Windows XP CD before attempting another re-install.

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the advice Broni,

I will give that a go and get back to you with the results.

Revi

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there Broni,

Luck would have that one of my hard drives in my main PC is a Seagate and that disk worked well with this Toshiba hard drive. However, no faults were found.

I gave the Disk a good clean but unfortunately, still gets stuck after loading files for installation.

I'm at a loss mate. My WIN98 and XP disc are stored in the same location and has not been touched for years until recently.

Any suggestions will be well-appreciated mate.

Cheers

Revi

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, since Windows 98 installs fine, and XP doesn't, the only thing, which comes to my mind is bad CD. You know, they go bad.

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah Broni,

You are probably right mate.

Best thing to do now is to start working on a plan B.

I will try and gain access to another XP disk and see if that works.

Thanks for all your help and advice mate.

Cheers

Revi

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)