Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Q9650-based First Computer-- Advice and Double-Checking?

• Please log in to reply

Green Tea

Green Tea

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm planning on building a high-performance desktop computer for gaming and information processing/computing. I'm not planning on over-clocking (I'm a completely new to this, so I'd prefer not to take risks). I mainly just want a powerful computer that will last me a long time.

I'm basing it around the Q9650 (3GHz), with perhaps 6GB RAM (or 8?) and two internal Hard Drives of 150GB and 300GB.

Current Build:

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
- Motherboard: EVGA 790i OR Asus P5Q-E ATX (which one? I heard the 790i is very not newb-friendly)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 OR x2 ATi HD4850 (which set?)
- Memory: 6 or 8 GB (what brand is good? Is 8GB really nessesary?)
- Hard Drive 1: 300GB Velociraptor
- Hard Drive 2: 150GB Velociraptor

Other:
- Power Supply: 650 Watt (Enough?)
- DVD +/- RW Drive
- Sound Card
- Network Card
- Cooling Supply: I'm not sure if I'll need extra cooling besides the fans that come with the CPU?

Please let me know if this is all compatible, and whether it'll run okay :)
If you all would prefer me to post links to the parts, I could do that too.
I just don't have set brands for the non-crucial parts, since I'll be just shopping by price.

Thank you so much!

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello and Welcome to the forums. :)

A few questions, what OS(Version and 32 or 64 bit) are you going to be running and what exactly is your price limit? Also, do you know how to put a rig together? Once I know these answers, I can help you from there. :)

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 11 May 2009 - 12:47 PM.