Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless "N" card

• Please log in to reply

Popkrum

Popkrum

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am about to purchase a HP laptop with a wirelss "N" card. My home network has a wireless "G" router. Will the "N" card word with the "G" wireless router.

Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Without exact model numbers, we cannot tell. I will say the G router will NOT support 802.11n. So that means your card will have to support 11g. You will need to check the documentation for the card to see if it will. I suspect not. N is better anyway so now is the time to upgrade your whole wireless network to 11n.

That said, the wireless makers have been dragging their feet for years now and have yet to agree on a 11n "standard" so all the makers are using "11n Draft". This is bad, IMO, because you cannot be sure products from different makers are compatible. Therefore, I recommend using the same maker for all 11n devices.

Popkrum

Popkrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Digerati,

Thanks for your timely reply. Your help is appreciated.

This site rocks!

Thanks