Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express Keeps Closing

• Please log in to reply

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Just got the blue screen come up again "the problem has been detected and so on, you know the rest"

Is this a case of taking it to the computer store? Unfortunately a no-go that fixing computers when it comes to hardware

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have the Windows Xp OS disk?
You can do a SFC /SCANNOW to fix the Windows System Files.

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, I'm back now. No, it did not come with an XP operating Disc, all files are actually on the hard drive, I carried out a reinstallation of Windows only a month ago. All I got was recovery disks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then there is still a way to run the SFC without a OS disk. Try this:

u]If you don't have Windows CD....[/u]
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm afraid that was a no-go. I put in regedit and click okay but nothing happens. And then of course the computer reboots.
Basically, you turn the computer on, no icons appear in the taskbar. After a couple of minutes the computer reboots but this time, it doesn't reboots might just goes to the blue screen. If I press F8 Nightingale back to when it was working, everything glides okay, and again, I put in REGEDIT but nothing happens.

Things are not looking good

Edited by Ironside, 11 May 2009 - 12:48 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you borrow a Xp disk of the same type you have...Home Or Pro?

If the system is a brand name your registration number should be on a sticker on the side or back of the system. As long as it is the same type we can do a repair installation and try to fix this. Please let me know as always I am here to assist in any way I can.

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm not sure I know anyone who has got a copy of xp. According to what it says when I'm booting up, my copy is media CENTER edition. I think the best thing I can do is either contact a local company who will carry out the repair, or maybe try and get hold of a brand-new copy of XP, that may be a cheaper option. In the meantime, I think I will contact Hewlett-Packard, their support is quite good, they might have a solution for this. Anyway, I'll keep you posted, I think you've done about as much as you can without getting on a plane and coming to do it for me :)

Once again, I appreciate your time and effort.

Edited by Ironside, 11 May 2009 - 01:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A plane trip? Yippeeee!!! :)
Please keep me informed and also keep checking back as Tech Staff may drop in and offer advice also in case I may have missed something. :)

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Managed to get another screen come up by pressing F8. Not sure if its relevance or not

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last known good configurations "your most recent settings that work"
directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure

Start windows normally
Reboot
return to OS choices menu

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Select this one
last known good configurations "your most recent settings that work"

if that doesn't work then go to

Safe mode

Advertisements

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Nothing works, it boots up in safe mode and doesn't turn off, but I can't do anything on the PC itself.

God I hope that they don't wipe the hard drive. I've got some very important e-mails that I need. I've managed to open outlook express in safe mode by can't send any e-mails. The only thing I can do is take a photograph with my digital camera of the messages on screen. I hate computer sometimes

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try puppy linux and that will allow you to backup everything. Go Here to find out how to backup email address's and messages.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, I might give it a try