Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MSHTA.EXE

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I have just downloaded and installed ImTranslator. Every time that I attempt to run it I get an alert from COMODO saying that mshta.exe is an unsafe application.

I've done a little research and it looks as though some people think that it is evil while others say that it's not.

All I know about it is that it is listed as a Microsoft ® HTML application host and that it lives at C:\Windows\System32. Its version # is 7.05730.11, and for some reason COMODO thinks that it is evil.

I have been denying it access, and will do so until I discover what's up with that little bugger. Anyway, I guess my question is; knowing that it seems to be connected with that ImTranslator in some way, would it be alright to allow it access through COMODO?

Thanks for any help.

Wendy

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is a part of Microsoft Windows Operating System which is needed to execute .HTA files.
Give it access in Comodo as it is needed for your program. Go HERE and you can read on it straight from Microsoft.
I find no reference to it being a threat but only a annoyance and Microsoft acknowledges it has been a pain on some Programs running. :)

Let us know if you have any other concerns or questions.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 May 2009 - 10:14 AM.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi rshaffer61, Thanks for the speedy reply.

I kind of thought that it was an OK file because I remember it popping up when I had used ImTranslator a couple of years ago.

However, I had found a couple of spots where they were treating it as though it were something evil and going down a list of steps to remove it.

I'll OK it once and if anything vile comes of it I'll just stop using ImTranslator. Thanks again for your help and your time.

Wendy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible