Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply

Tegan

Tegan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista.

For a while, everything worked just fine, but now my wireless will sometimes go from a "Local and Internet" Acces, to "Limited." And from that point, I can not use the internet. If I then go to my "Connect to a network" screen and disconnect from my network, it does not find any other networks. When I click on "Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks" then it tells me that my wireless is turned off.

The way I have found to fix this is that every time my wireless cuts out I have to:

1. Go to the control panel - hardware and sound - update device drivers - Network adapters

There are listed:
- Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100
- Realtek RTL8102/8103 Family PCI-E FE NIC

2. I right click on each of them and select "Update driver software..." It always says that the best driver for my device is already installed

3. I restart my computer.

4. Upon restart, I go to the "Connect to a network" screen and select "Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks". It tells me that the wireless is turned off

5. I click "Turn on". It fixes itself and I have internet.

This has been happening for a couple months now, and I'm getting tired of this temporary fix. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you tested this with other wireless networks? If not, how old is your wireless router that you're using?

Tegan

Tegan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My wireless works/ does the same thing on all networks: public, secured, doesn't matter.

I don't have this issue with my other laptop which uses the same router.

The router's fairly new, got it about a year ago.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Well, that rules out the DHCP Broadcast flag "fix" (it wouldn't happen on all networks, and only on routers from before Vista came out).

I'd suggest checking Event Viewer for errors around (or slightly before) the time that the disconnect occurs. Once in Event Viewer, click on and expand the Windows Logs category. Then check both the System and the Application log files for errors. Once you find the error(s), let us know what they say.

Other than that, I'd suggest downloading the latest WIFI driver from the Toshiba support website. Then uninstall the current driver and then install the downloaded one. If this doesn't fix it, then I'd try the driver from the Intel website (for the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100)