Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install WindowsXP or vista, Hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply

mortarhead

mortarhead

• Pip
  • 3 posts
so here are the specs for my recently built computer:

Asus P5Q3 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz
2X2GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz memory
500 GB WD Caviar Black Sata hdd
LG blu-ray/hddvd player/ dvd read/write
ati radeon hd 4870
700 watt sigma shark PSU

i've been having several problems with installing windows XP or Vista. i changed the bios settings to boot first from CD then floppy, then HDD. when it loads it says CD boot priority and then gives me a message : "Reboot and Select proper Boot devise or Insert Boot Media in slected Boot devise and press a key"

i've tried with 2 different copies of Windows XP, one from my dad's work that is supposed to be for active duty members to put on their home computers unlimited amounts of times, and another copy from a friend. i also tried a version of vista i got from a friend, but still am having the same problem.

i've built computers before, never had any experience with software though, and was wondering what might be the problem. thanks to anyone for your help.

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
It sounds to me like a bad optical drive.

Go into the BIOS and make the only boot option the optical drive.

Then try to boot from it.

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
check the bootable media is okay. you can use it on other computer. you can manage the boot sequence first optical drive, HDD and floppy or other media. first hit the optimal default setting on BIOS and make change boot order.

mortarhead

mortarhead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yea i got it to work, it was just my bad luck, all the os cds were messed up, but i got a copy of windows vista ultimate and it worked so i'm set. the only problem i have now is that one of the updates won't install and it says its important, some error message about the os not being legit or something. i don't have it hooked up to internet yet, i just dragged it into the kitchen where the internet is and downloaded the updates and took it bak to my room. just wondering what the problem might be now

mortarhead

mortarhead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yea i got it to work, it was just my bad luck, all the os cds were messed up, but i got a copy of windows vista ultimate and it worked so i'm set. the only problem i have now is that one of the updates won't install and it says its important, some error message about the os not being legit or something. i don't have it hooked up to internet yet, i just dragged it into the kitchen where the internet is and downloaded the updates and took it bak to my room. just wondering what the problem might be now