Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thermal Error (overheating)

• Please log in to reply

westham1980

westham1980

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear All,

I hope you can help.

We are having problems encountered during the last few days with our computer suddenly shutting down and when starting we hear a two tone siren noise and a message about the computer encountering a thermal error (overheating)

I am intending to buy a can of compressed air tomorrow however the casing is a mastercooler case and thinking of giving it a good blow tomorrow with the air as the cooling vents may be blocked with dust. Has anyone any decent suggestions for what the next step could be if this is a more serious error?

I hope the motherboard does not need replacing and I have read about people taking their PC base apart and taking it outside for a good clean but as I do not actually have an outside as we live in a flat, this is not possible!

The computer is at least eighteen months old. I cannot be sure as to how old exactly but I know it is a minimum of 18 months. The base is never blocked with paper etc and we make sure that this is never the case.

Thanks
Ben

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached. If you don't want to type it all out then you can take a screenshot of Speedfan while it is open.
To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 May 2009 - 01:01 PM.

westham1980

westham1980

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey rshaffer61 - before i install speedfan I do have some information regarding fan speeds on my Intel® Desktop Utilities Version 3.0, if that makes sense to you!

Perhaps if I give you this information to start and if it isn't enough for you, I will do as you suggest regarding speedfan

Temperature
Processor Zone Temperature 60/61 degrees C
System Zone 1 Temperature 42/43 degrees C
System Zone 2 Temperature 35/36 degrees C
Fan Speed
Processor Fan Speed approx 1300/1400 RPM
System Fan Speed 1 approx 2010 RPM
System Fan Speed 2 approx 680 RPM
System Fan Speed 3 approx 930 RPM
Hard Drive Health
Hard Drive 1 (558.62GB)

Thanks,
Ben

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yes please run speedfan and we can see if you are within specs now

westham1980

westham1980

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Speedfan.JPG

AFter many automatic shutdowns, we have eventually managed to get the computer working to show you the results.

We are also encountering, on a blue screen the messages page_fault_in-nonpaged_area and bad_system_config_info so we are thinking we may have other issues...

Ben

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
that fan temp is a little warm. If this is a desktop and the system is not under warranty can you check the fan on the cpu and make sure it is turning correctly?
Also please do the following steps in order and reply back with the results of each test as it finishes.

Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: [And then to b]Quick Report-Summary[/b]
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE DEBUG- PCI

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options