Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help with reading SDHC card (digital)

• Please log in to reply

groth

groth

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I'm not sure where to post this but I hope someone can help me please. I'm a computer idiot :-) Here's the issue:

I bought a new SDHC digital memory card for my new camera. It's an 8G card. I previously had a 2 G which worked fine.
I took pictures on the new card last night and I can view them fine on the camera monitor. I tried downloading (or uploading - not sure which is correct) them to my laptop last night. I have an HP laptop - about 2 years old. Paviliion.
Here are the steps I took:

1. Connected the cable to computer/camera and the message said "camera wasn't connected". I folllowed all steps and while I am a comptuer idiot, I DO know how to plug in a cable.

2. I removed the card and placed it in an external "multi card reader writer". I inserted it into my external drive and clicked on the F drive. Message was "Insert external hardware into F Drive" (or soemthing like that) - even though there WAS something inserted there.

3. I removed the 8G card and replaced it with the 2 G card into the same externarl reader writer and it worked fine.

I dont' think it's the card b/c I can view my pictures on the camera. I think there is a problem with the capability of my laptop to use this type of card. Is there any software I can download to make them compatible? If not, any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Gret

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I am not sure about all of your issues, but unless your card reader can handle the SDHC cards, the max size is 2Gb, so I suspect that your card reader is not a SDHC reader. You would need to get a new reader in order to access the card outside of the camera.

This means that you would need to get your camera to be able to be seen by the computer. I have seen that issue before and typically restarting the computer tends to help, but it also seems that at times it gets confused. I don't do all that much with Windoze, so there is limited help that I can provide in that respect.

groth

groth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks! Will someone else be able to answer the last question? I will go out and buy a different card reader. Also, my son's computer has the ability to have the memory card stuck right into it and it won't read it either. It will read my 2G card, however.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...I've had the same issue with my own HP Pavilion laptop and my Razr phone. I bought a v3xx Razr a few months ago and bought a 4GB microSD card for it. But when I installed the card, I noticed it wasn't showing up as available memory on the phone. So I removed it, put it into the SD adapter that came with it, and plugged it into my laptop's built-in reader. And my laptop (purchased in 2006) wouldn't recognize it, either. I then Googled 'SD' and found out that older SD card readers will not recognize SDHC cards and that it's a hardware issue (the HD card is wired differently or something; I didn't find a sufficient explanation). If you're not wired for SDHC, you will be limited to 2GB since anything larger is SDHC and your device won't recognize it. (I subsequently put a 2GB card in the phone and that one does work.) However, I found a workaround: there are card adapters that plug into a USB port and they will recognize SDHC cards. They're not expensive (10.00 or so) and they do work. I've been able to use that SDHC card after all: through the USB adapter, I can load it up with MP3s and plug it into my GPS...which can play them back over the FM radio...

Edited by ZedU54, 10 May 2009 - 08:30 PM.