Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MAJOR HARDWARE HELP NEEDED

• Please log in to reply

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would eventually like to run Music production software aswell as online gaming such as Counterstrike source etc with minimum ease.But primarily , this machine is used for mp3 playback...the one thing going wrong all the time lol.

i would consider spending £40-50 for selected items, provided they are suitable and reliable.

what i hate is that my pc is such a rare (cough* old) model.

let me know how the report looks..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How many watts is your PSU? I suggest always go to s 500 watt at minimum for current and upgrades later.
Do you have the Win Xp cd?

If not can you borrow a Win Xp Home cd?
I want to run a SFC Scan and see if we can repair and windows files that may be missing or corrupt.

To follow is the instructions on how to run the SFC with and without the cd.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This concerns me as it says you only have 1 gig of memory installed
System Memory: 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
But in Post 1 you say:
"I went as far as to install two totally brand new 1gb RAM" which would say you have 2 gigs of memory but it's not showing that in your Everest report. :)
Could you please explain why this is not matching?

Also I'm not much good at exchange rates so could you tell me what 50 in your rate would be in USD amount or point me toward a site you would buy your parts so I can look for you.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 May 2009 - 11:22 PM.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi , dont worry about the RAM , its because i still havnt put one of the sticks back in yet after doing the memory testing.

Your regedit thing worked a treat as the sfc /scannow found no errors once i edited the registry.

Ive also taken out the soundcard at this point but still cant get any sound out of my machine.Even with the manufacturers drivers.The obaord device is a Sis 7012 i think but requires drivers from realtek.ive used drivers off realteks website as well as the Sis website.

by £50 i mean around 100 dollars per item
www.ebuyer is a site i would trust.but now im not so sure if they sold me dodgy RAM.Its meant to be a reliable site...

:S

Edited by kaanij, 12 May 2009 - 09:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Realtek AC97 driver

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
also my PSU is 300 watts i think.just popped open the pc to look.

if i had a dollar for everytime i tried installing that driver id be rich....but ill give it a go

heres some more info

Still getting the two errors once pc has booted

" generic host for win 32 application must close"

" installer for windows 2000 must close "

also while im booting i see a screen ive never seen before which has " bios utility " written in various points on it ...and it begins almost doing a mini check on my computer everytime , saying " NO RAID!!! " at the end

then it resumes booting as usual

Edited by kaanij, 12 May 2009 - 09:40 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this to fix the Genric Host error:

Go to Start then to Properties
Click on System Properties and then to Advanced tab
Click on Performance options button and then on Data Execution Prevention tab
You can add here exceptions for programs to bypass DEP , maybe this would be helpful

To fix the Installer problem please go Here and follow the steps. Let me know if these two fixes help you out.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Im not really sure what program exceptions im meant to be choosing for the DEP thing you suggested ..~

the step by step thing on the link you sent me didnt work because the folders dont exist which the guy is mentioning in the article ...

as for the sound problems , ive managed to get the sound working by clicking on an audio file before these "windows 2000" and " generic 32" errors could error.im playing music , despite my volume settings saying there is no audio mixer.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sound is still playing up .... im gonna try the 500v power supply i think , my machines always been way too hot and
noisy for my liking.

on memtest , an error on test 7 apparently could also signal temperature and settings issues rather then faulty ram
test 7 was failed on both sticks so im thinking of getting a nice 500w psu instead for a start.

what u think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a plan to me also. Now the temperature is that from the PSU or is it coming from the CPU?

Advertisements

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
how can i tell where the temperature is coming from ? there is definitly heat coming from the back fan , through the psu.

also
im thinking of totally rebuilding my computer
considering i already have a western digital 320 gb sata hardrive.

what motherboard and processor would you reccomend ? ... between the $100-200 range
if you could provide a comprehensive list of a great set up ... preferably intel ( if they indeed are the better brand)
it would be much appreciated.Please note , that i will eventually use music production software, online gaming and DVD playback very regularly.

Ive already checked out this PSU,Midtower case and card reader.Let me know what u think of all.
http://www.ebuyer.co...roduct_overview
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136390
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124922

FURTHER INFO: I just reinstalled the same OS i had before , it was a clean install but the blue screens are still popping up.Even when it seems like the drivers are not to blame.Im going to send back the RAM and ask for a couple new sticks till i gather the money to rebuild my own pc.

Edited by kaanij, 16 May 2009 - 11:33 AM.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
P.s

ive checked to see where heat is coming from the most , it seems the PSU is quite warm compared with the motherboard or processor.

Furthermore, this occurs when trying to run memtest * most of the time*

"Sometimes when booting from a cd the following messages scroll up
on the screen:
X:8000
AX:0212
BX:8600
CX:0201
DX:0000
This is the BIOS reporting floppy disk read errors .. apparently , but im using cd , does it mean the same thing but for cds ?

cheers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I've never seen those error messages for a cdrom drive.
The heat from PSU will be slightly warmer as it is always running and being a PSU it will generate more heat.