Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore to factory settings without CD

• Please log in to reply

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently turned on my computer, a gateway MX3414? im not sure because i don't have the box it came in as it's pretty old, and i found that i have no task bar, no start menu, and no icons on my desktop. The only way i can run anything is through the task manager and to get on the internet i need to be through a hardline because it doesn't recognize wireless. What i wanted to do before this even happened was restore it to factory default settings with NO programs on it at all, i have all files i need backed up on an external hard drive and i just need to know how (especially now) to do it without the CDs.
IF anyone knows how to do this it would be IMMENSELY appreciated. Thank You :)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
When you boot up your computer press the "r" key to go into the Gateway System Recovery Program.

To recover from the hard drive: 1 Remove all CDs and DVDs from the disc drives, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse, then disconnect your Internet cable.

Turn on or restart your computer, then press R when prompted to start the recovery process.

Perform a destructive recovery to reformat your hard drive and restore the computer to the factory defaults.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.gatew...XPMC0su13.shtml
Here are some more detailed instructions.

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you, that led me in the right direction but when I pressed r to go to the system recovery screen it prompted me for the system recovery CD, which as i said in my OP, i don't have it. Is there any other way, or atleast a way to bypass the CD prompt?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.gatew...MLXPH1su5.shtml
Follow the instructions there to create system recovery CDs yourself.

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, now i tryed that and it says "No Recovery Partition or Update CD files found, Process aborted"

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Also to the above ^^ it said I wouldn't be able to create one if I had already but I've never run that program in my life

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.gatew...XPMC0su13.shtml
Try following the instructions in that link.

Right now, things look bad because the utility said it couldn't find the recovery partition. This means that you might have to order recovery CDs.

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I guess I will have to get the recovery CDs then :). Thank you very much for trying though, and where will I be able to get these CDs?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I'm not so sure how to order those discs. Did you try with the link I provided in my previous post?
You might want to call Gateway. You should find the number in your manual.

Advertisements

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The link in your previous post was the same one that led me to the fact of having no recovery CD, and i dont have the manual but I think the numbers on the botton of the computer, I guess I'll be giving them a call :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to solve your problem without you having to call Gateway. :)
Sometimes they might give you the CDs free but they will usually change a fee around $20 or 30 to ship it to you.

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Don't be sorry you gave me a boatload of help and atleast now I know for the future, thanks again for all the help :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hope everything goes well with Gateway. If you have any more questions come back to G2G for assistance!

badatcomputers5722

badatcomputers5722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alright, the CDs are on their way :) thx again