Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen - Major Error!

• Please log in to reply

ScottC85

ScottC85

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted Image

can anyone help me with this? do I need a new hard drive?

Advertisements

bootcamp1985

bootcamp1985

• Pip
  • 6 posts
is there an activity done before that happened?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NTFS.SYS is relating to network probably internet nic card.
There are several reasons for the Stop Code you are receiving. Most can be fixed by running chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r from the recovery console. You will need your XP disk to do this.
Can you boot into safe mode?
Do you have your Genuine Windows XP OS disk?
If not then:

Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
At the C Prompt type in chkdsk /f and let it run
When it's done then type in chkdsk /r and let it run. This one will be longer then the last and although it may appear to stall it is not uncommon for it to take a hour or more to finish. If this does not fix the problem then you will have to go into safe mode or in normal mode preferred if you can and we can continue with another option called
System File Checker

ScottC85

ScottC85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

NTFS.SYS is relating to network probably internet nic card.
There are several reasons for the Stop Code you are receiving. Most can be fixed by running chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r from the recovery console. You will need your XP disk to do this.
Can you boot into safe mode?
Do you have your Genuine Windows XP OS disk?
If not then:

Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
At the C Prompt type in chkdsk /f and let it run
When it's done then type in chkdsk /r and let it run. This one will be longer then the last and although it may appear to stall it is not uncommon for it to take a hour or more to finish. If this does not fix the problem then you will have to go into safe mode or in normal mode preferred if you can and we can continue with another option called
System File Checker

The laptop freezes a lot and other times this blue screen appears. I will try chkdsk and get back to you tomorrow. thanks for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thank you for the update. The other thing I would suggest is to:

Download, install, and run Whats Running
Click on Take snapshot in the left pane.
New pop-up window will open.
Click on Save snapshot, and save the file as snap (.xml extension will be added automatically) to know location. Attach it to your next reply please.

ScottC85

ScottC85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
see link below for snap.xml file. after running chkdsk the laptop was on for several hours without freezing or the blue screen appearing.

http://www.mediafire...04e75f6e8ebb871

Edited by ScottC85, 12 May 2009 - 05:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So is the issue taken care of now?
Did you run both chkdsk commands?

ScottC85

ScottC85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Seems to be. Ran chkdsk which said 'errors found' then ran both chkdsk/r and chkdsk/f then the pc ran with no problems until i shut it down 2 hours later

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are the original issues now returning or is there something new happening?

ScottC85

ScottC85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
laptop seems to be working fine now! alla aprt from the cd drive. when i put a cd or dvd into the drive it tries to start up then makes a few clicking noises and stops then repeats the same process over and over. also when I go into My computer and try open the cd it freezes for a while. could this be a site effect of chkdsk or is this another problem in itself?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like cd player is dying. Not a side affect of chkdsk. prob just a coincident that it is happening now. Chkdsk only checks the physical well being of the Hard drives and has nothing to do with a cdrom drive.