Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP Pavillion zd7000 will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

keynoteman

keynoteman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Specifically it is the zd7389cl HP Pavillion notebook. OS is Windows XP Home SP2

I tried removing battery, letting it rest and then turning computer on with the Application and Driver Recovery DVD in place. Hoping to start in safe mode I did try hitting F8 as soon as I turned on the computer.

The screen goes directly to a display of thin vertical blue lines in pairs 1/8th, seperated by 1/4'', margins in the 15" x 9" screen are 2-1/4" left and right and 3/4" top and bottom. This blue line display lasts 20 seconds cycling with a pure black screen that lasts 5 seconds. This cycle continues indefinitely. Just before the blue line screen returns a small cursor flashes once about 3-1/2 inch over from the left and down about 2-1/2 from the top putting it in the blue line display area. I think I have seen the cursor in the far upper left part of the screen, but rarely.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you boot from a disc?
This looks like a hardware problem, so if you are still under warranty then return the laptop to hp and they should fix the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try hooking a external monitor to the laptop and seeing if problem exist there. If so then the laptop probably has a faulty video onboard. If the problem doesn't exist on external monitor then the problem is with the laptop screen itself.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Can I boot from a disc? I tried to start it with the Recovery CD and it did not do anything different. I am afraid I am out of warranty. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Try the troubleshooting tips rshaffer gave you. Both the outcomes (bad LCD screen or faulty onboard video) are not easy to fix by yourself, but a shop would be able to replace the screen for you. If the onboard video is the problem, you might have to get a motherboard replacement.