Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Luxurious Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you scroll back a few years in the System Building and Upgrading section, you'll find my "Mega Upgrades" thread... Boy has time flown, and the system is still running very strong with minimal change. But what's the point of having a really nice computer if all the user input devices are cheapos? It really takes it to another level when you have nice peripherals.

The Logitech X-230 speakers are from years ago, but boy oh boy do they put out some good sound. Playing music or video, it really makes a difference to have some good quality speakers.

My Logitech MX Revolution is about a year old, and I really get annoyed when I use another mouse now. It's customisable, and oh so comfortable. In particular, I really hate using a wired mouse and having the cord "snag". Wireless is awesome, and the recharge dock beats changing batteries all the time.

So what about the screen? For the last few years I've been staring at a 17" 1280x1024 LCD screen. The LCD is nice, much better than a CRT, but it was aging in a world where large, widescreen monitors are starting to get pretty cheap. So the other day I picked up a BenQ E2400HD. This is a 24" Widescreen running at full high definition resolution - 1920 x 1080! I cannot believe the difference this has made to my workstation area, and just the general "feel" of using the computer, be it for work or play. I have downloaded some high definition videos to test it out, and I'm very happy with the overall quality. BenQ is a brand name I was a little hesitant to purchase, but reviews and that purchase price made me go for it. We'll see how it stacks up long-term, but after the first week using it, I'm very impressed.

So what's next? They keyboard, of course. I'm still using a very old Logitech Internet Pro keyboard, it's clunky and noisy, but it works fine. Not sure what I'll get, but it will be a while before I get it! And then after that, perhaps a BluRay drive to complement the HDCP-enabled components in my system. And then maybe a nice camera to sit on top of the monitor for when we Skype the family. And then... :)

See some pictures below for the before and after. Next time you're thinking about upgrading, why not splurge a little on the "nice" extras that we use so much? It really lifts the game and makes using the computer so much more enjoyable. :)

Posted Image

Becomes THIS :) :

Posted Image

Not the best quality pictures, I know... Maybe I'll have to upgrade my camera too...

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

The Logitech X-230 speakers are from years ago, but boy oh boy do they put out some good sound. Playing music or video, it really makes a difference to have some good quality speakers.

I couldn't of said it better myself. I can barely stand to watch TV or ESPECIALLY an Action Movie on just regular TV Speakers/Sound or some $20 speakers. If anyone is looking for some quality sound for a decent price, check out Phillips Stereo's that comes with 6 speakers(including sub) and a DVD Player/Tuner. You could use it for computer or home theater. Mine was like $250 for the complete set, and people have told me several times, "Dang, that sounds better than my $1000 Component System".

In particular, I really hate using a wired mouse and having the cord "snag". Wireless is awesome

Are we on the same page or what? :) The days of the "cord snag" are no more! :)

So the other day I picked up a BenQ E2400HD.

It looks awesome! I'm about 5 minutes from googling that. I have had a 23" ACER picked out for my new build, it is 40000:1 widescreen HD 23" for only about $180. I have heard some good things about ACER as of late, I think many think of them as a cheap brand, but I think that may be changing. I think I'm gonna check out that BenQ though.

Next time you're thinking about upgrading, why not splurge a little on the "nice" extras that we use so much?

I agree 100%. Like they say about fashion, accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! So with that said, Troy, where is the window on your pc with the cool blue led's and maybe a strobe light? :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

So with that said, Troy, where is the window on your pc with the cool blue led's and maybe a strobe light? :) :)

Nah, can't have a window cause then I'd be too embarrassed showing all the horrible wiring everywhere... :)

EDIT: Actually I'm not a fan of cases with windows or flashy-coloured fans at all. The blue power light is bad enough... :)

Edited by Troy, 14 May 2009 - 06:14 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*dsenette waits for the closeup of all the chocolate and candy smears that the kid is going to get all over the keyboard and monitor

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

In particular, I really hate using a wired mouse and having the cord "snag". Wireless is awesome

Are we on the same page or what? :) The days of the "cord snag" are no more! :)

I can tell, that none of you two have played any seriously gaming :)
For a long time, before they began to make really good superb cordless
gaming mice (mice? mouse? whatever :) ) The corded ones ruled the war
games. Still today, if you don't have the cash, a corded, say, Logitech MX gaming
grade mouse, would still be better than a good cordless. Reason being the split
hair seconds, or tenth of seconds you have to react in, corded is just faster.
So when it comes to kill or be killed, DPI is everything :) Not to mention if
the cordless is not running on full power, needless to say, that is no good.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I can tell, that none of you two have played any seriously gaming

Serious Gaming? How about no gaming? :) I think I played an online billiard's game once, other than that we are going back to Super Nintendo. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I bought Logitech Cordless MX700 Mouse and keyboard combo back in 2002.....LOVE IT..
so how do these specs compare to the corded mouse you use
Resolution: 800 dpi

Speed: 40" per sec. max.

Image processing:4.7 megapixels per sec. max.

Acceleration: 10g max.

Edited by happyrock, 14 May 2009 - 06:35 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Serious gaming? I use the XBOX 360 Controller for Windows :)

Colin McRae: DiRT, GRID... now they're serious games! I'm not a violent person and I can't stand shooter games... :)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

I bought Logitech Cordless MX700 Mouse and keyboard combo back in 2002.....LOVE IT..
so how do these specs compare to the corded mouse you use
Resolution: 800 dpi

Speed: 40" per sec. max.

Image processing:4.7 megapixels per sec. max.

Acceleration: 10g max.

Resolution: 400 - 1600 DPI (Depending on setting, and adjustable on the mouse on the fly)

Image Processing: 5,8 Megapixels per second. max.

Acceleration: 15G

USB update rate: 125 times per second

And thats for a cheap corded optical Logitech MX518 Gaming Grade Mouse. 239 Danish kroners ~ 43 US Dollars.

Edited by Abydos, 17 May 2009 - 04:30 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks Abydos...what about the specs from a expensive/high end gaming mouse

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Grrr :) I thought I was all geeky having something wireless, and now I have to go out and get corded stuff because of all this talk. :)

:::Ferrari empties his pockets on corded geek stuff:::

:)

Edit: Here is my luxurious mouse, I really like it for normal use, also can be used as a presenter for slide shows of your pics, etc in windows pics and fax viewer.

http://us.kensington...html/13871.html

Edited by Ferrari, 17 May 2009 - 05:27 PM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

thanks Abydos...what about the specs from a expensive/high end gaming mouse

Couldn't really say. Been a long time since, I followed the market. Don't play that seriously
anymore. But the MX518 suffice my needs now a days. I would imagine there are better and
cheaper mice out there, corded or cordless, that would "beat" a MX518, not to mention all the
high-end stuff.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I'm not a violent person and I can't stand shooter games... :)

What!?!?! No Shooters? ARRRRGHHH! I'd die.....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I'm not a violent person and I can't stand shooter games... :)

What!?!?! No Shooters? ARRRRGHHH! I'd die.....

:)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Aw come on, don't you at least get the urge to blow something up now and then? Yarrrrr!!! POW!!! :) POW!!! BOOM!!! :) BLAM!!! AHAHAHAHHA! DIE N00b!!!! Ok, I feel better now.... :)