Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireGL 5600 crashes incessantly

• Please log in to reply

O.o

O.o

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I installed a new video card (FireGL 5600) to correct big-time video problems with CAD software on my Dell Precision 470, but now it's worse than ever. Pixels gradually get more and more corrupt, until the machine just quits. There's no blue screen or memory dump, so I really can't give more specific information. However, I've tried every level of hardware acceleration, including "none", as well as every version of the driver (current version is 8.583.0.0, which I believe is the most recent). All to no avail. As far as I know, all drivers and the BIOS are up to date, and my registry is clean.

A likely related matter is a phantom PCI device on my system that Windows (XP SP2) does not recognize, and says has no driver installed. Device Manager says it is in Slot 1. This happens to be where my video card is physically installed (I checked - it's there), as well as where Device Manager says it is. Weirder still, the instance ID of the unknown device is:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_AA08&SUBSYS_AA081002&REV_00\4&1E8CFE9A&0&0120

which has the same vendor code (ATI), but is otherwise different from the ID of my actual video card. Is this the old video card ID? I think it was a FireGL 3100, but I'm not sure. Disabling/uninstalling the unknown device doesn't help (it just reappears after the next crash). Is there a DLL somewhere I need to destroy?

GARGH!!

O.o

Advertisements

O.o

O.o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK. An update...

I uninstalled everything to do with the video card, and deleted ati*.dll and anything else I could find that looked like an ATI file from my system. I deleted any folders called "ATI" or "ATI" technologies from my system. I then cleaned the registry. I then scoured the registry manually for anything that looked ATI-ish and deleted those keys. I then restarted my computer and installed only the display driver, and restarted again. Guess what? I still have this $!#@ing "Unknown PCI device" on my system, in the same slot as my video card. :) :) :) :) :wave: :) :) :yes: :) :) :) :) :) :angry: :) :o :) :wave: :yes: :) :) :) :) :) :) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: