Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot install update

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting a "High Prority" update [KB951847] to install. :)
It downloaded ok, but refuses to be installed, and it has failed to do so 14 times since 22 April 2009. :)

I'm not losing any sleep over it but, as it is (supposedly) HIGH priority, I feel I ought to try to find out what the problem is with it!

It relates to: Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update x86. Don't even ask what it is for, as I haven't a clue :)

It's on my OLD desktop PC (which is coal powered :)) and runs Windows XP Home Edition Full Package program (NOT O.E.M.) Version 2002 SP3.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, but don't go to any trouble over this as it is a semi-retired PC, not one of my daily used PCs.
Thanks.

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Your pc is at sp3 and its saying it needs to install sp1? Iím thinking it needs to reinstall it so try manually downloading it from download.com and installing it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing is net framework is needed by different programs and different versions so it's hard to say what program is requesting it.
Second of all if it has failed that many times has it ever given you a error saying why it failed?
Is the system running fine other then the update failing to install?

Third please do the following:

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Hi again,
Sorry for delay in replying.
I cannot upload the screenshot you requested, however I have located it in Event Viewer and I've typed below what it says in Event Properties for this error:

Event I.D. 5000
Source: HotFixInstaller
Type: Error
Category: 0
User: N/A
Description: Event Type visualstudio8setup. P1 microsoft.net framework 2.0kb958481, P2 1033, P3 1605, P4 msi, P6 9.0.31211.0 P7 install, P8 x86, P9 xp, P10 0.

I hope that helps?
Wrinkly Pete

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 03 June 2009 - 02:37 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Your pc is at sp3 and its saying it needs to install sp1? Iím thinking it needs to reinstall it so try manually downloading it from download.com and installing it.

tyler kick you f...
This relates to NET Framework NOT Windows SP3.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 03 June 2009 - 02:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
visualstudio8setup

Is this installed on your system?
This seems to be the culprit causing the problem.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
rshaffer61,

Hi, no I've no knowledge of ever installing visualstudio8.
I'm running a search of the whole PC (on the affected PC) as I type this on another PC...
It's finished searching - nothing found!

I've Googled "visualstudio8setup" and it appears many others have had the same problem.
Microsoft are NO help (as usual).

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 03 June 2009 - 03:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hm ok I found this in my research and you may want to try this. It seems that fragments of old Net workframe versions can be causing the problem.
Go HERE and follow the instructions. Please let me know if this cleans up the leftovers and allows installer to correctly work now.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 June 2009 - 03:23 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I'll give it a go and get back to you, thanks. (May not reply immediately, but I will eventually!).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem as I'm always watching the topics for replies.