Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

00cjx00

00cjx00

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I just want to know what do i need to know to buy a graphics card.
I've done some research and i can see in the motherboard a port labeled as PCI-E x16 although when i run the everest quick report it shows PCI Express x1, What's the difference?

And also i found this card: Diamond Radeon HD 3450 512Mb. DDR2 Pci Express I'd like to know if this one works

I've also heard that i need to watch for the Wattage of my power supply (which is 310W at max) or it'll burn the card or the motherboard.

My System:
MB:? (Everest won't say a name it just shows LENOVO LENOVO)
CPU: Intel Celeron D 336, 2.8Ghz
RAM: 1.5 GB

I can't think of anything elso to say about my system :)

Please, Help.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
PCI-E x16 is a connection type. Everest reporting PCI Express x1 should mean there is one slot for PCI Express card (in this case 1x PCI Express x16). That Radeon card shold work fine, but I think a 310w power supply is too small. Higher end/professional graphic cards usually require 200-300W just for themselves, which leaves no power for all the other parts.

00cjx00

00cjx00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

PCI-E x16 is a connection type. Everest reporting PCI Express x1 should mean there is one slot for PCI Express card (in this case 1x PCI Express x16). That Radeon card shold work fine, but I think a 310w power supply is too small. Higher end/professional graphic cards usually require 200-300W just for themselves, which leaves no power for all the other parts.

So i should be fine with that card? 'cause i'm not looking for a high end card, just a card that can deal with some games but not the newer ones

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You should be able to research what type of power supply and power connection that card needs, if your computer meets those requirements everything should work out ok.