Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WINPC Defender/Windows Security Center Pop ups

• Please log in to reply

hellmaker

hellmaker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
While working on a project, i opened MY COMPUTER to locate a file in a thumb drive. As I opened MY COMPUTER a pop-up stated that my computer had no anti-virus protection and then a scan of my internal and external hardrive commenced. I was asked if I wanted to eliminate the threats found, but as I was trying to manage other files I inadvertently said yes by pressing enter. Now I have consistent pop-ups from the Windows Security system stating that there is no anti-virus protection and asking if i would like to rectify this. If I click yes, mozilla opens up and directs me to a "Check Out" page requesting credit card info. in oreder to purchase WinPC Defender. I also get large pop-ups in the middle of the screen that seem to be from WINPC Defender. It looks like a screen that you come across when an antivirus program does a scan. It returns a message that X amount of threats have been found and asks if I would like to have those fixed. There are also small popups in the lower right hand corner of the screen. One is an update announcement for WinPC Defender, the other is a Firewall Warning. The update announcement asks whether I would like to download now or remind me later. The warning states that "WinPC Defender has detected that somebody is trying to transfer your private data via internet. We stronly recommend you to block the attack immediately". It lists a remote host transfer IP of 41.58.201.35, don't know if that's always the same, and a remote computer name of YOUR-727A0A4E7C, this is always the same, User E-Mail Sebastian Perez and IP adress of 192.168--. From the tool bar there are pop up balloons stating that a trojan has been detected.

WinPC Defender starts up with the computer as does the Window Security Center.

My web browser, IE, runs relatively slow now. I have also noticed that several times there is a faint, but audible audio advertisement that plays even when the browser is closed. Can't make out what it is.

I have not updated my antivirus and spyware software in the past year. I used Spyware Doctor, AVG Free, CCleaner Ad-Aware SE and Ultra Win Cleaner, all were free downloads that worked well for quite some time.

How can I get this resolved so that the constant pop-ups, audio advertisements cease and that my web browser speed gets back to normal?
Can you recommend what's the best anti-virus, anti-spyware applications out there right now, free or for fee?

I run XP version 2002, on an HP pavillion laptop dv5000 series, AMD turion 64

Advertisements