Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway perf 1300 wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

kema00032

kema00032

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a second hand gateway performence 1300 computer ATXSTF manufactured in 2001. It only had 2 memory chips and a floppy drive. I added a hard drive and a cd-rom drive and a ethernet card. I doesnt have a place to plug in a monitor so i put a pci stealth 3d 2000 video card in it.
It looks like its in good condition but when i turn it on it beeps three times and then nothing. the cd-rom drive lights up and so does a light on the motherboard and i can hear the hard drive working. any ideas on what might be wrong?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Three beeps is usually a memory failure. Either a problem with the memory module(s) themselves or a problem with the memory controller on the board. If the latter it's going to be scrap, realistically. The former can be fixed with new memory chips and somewhere like crucial.com will sell you memory they guarantee to work in your computer or your money back.