Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Torrenting Windows 7 RC? Think Again...

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

The official launch of the Windows 7 Release Candidate last May 5 was soon followed by another version of the software, only that this other version came with a malware surprise.

A file being hosted in popular torrent sites posing as a copy of the Windows 7 RC was found to be a Trojan by security researchers. The file which arrives with the file name setup.exe is detected as TROJ_DROPPER.SPX. TROJ_DROPPER.SPX drops TROJ_AGENT.NICE. Both files are detected by the Smart Protection Network.

Windows 7 Release Candidate was leaked a couple of weeks prior to the official release, and was also hosted by and downloaded from popular torrent sites. This was followed by a reported downtime in the download page for the Windows 7 Beta, which was attributed to too many download requests.

With Windows 7 showing much promise as early as now, it isn’t really surprising that cybercriminals are using the operating system to distribute malware not necessarily as a platform, but as a social engineering technique.

Those interested in obtaining a copy of the release candidate are advised to get it from the Microsoft Windows 7 website.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
That doesn’t surprise me one bit, it’s almost expected now a days :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
True, the last sentence is the most important:

Those interested in obtaining a copy of the release candidate are advised to get it from the Microsoft Windows 7 website.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I was in a chat room the other day and someone was asking me how they can get a copy of Windows 7 beta since MS doesn't have it to download on their site anymore, just giving keys. I told him that would probably be illegal to get it somewhere else, and I wouldn't help him with that. So, about 5 minutes later he comes back saying something like "Ha, found it on XXXXTorrent, that works for me!". I just remained quiet, cause I knew that wasn't a good idea. So then about 5 minutes after that, he came back with "Oh crap, I think it had a virus". I just started laughing hysterically at home :) . Thankfully, I remained somewhat mature and didn't publicly make fun of his ignorance. I just didn't say anything.

Thought I would share that story.

Edited by Ferrari, 13 May 2009 - 10:13 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Shame on you for not pointing him toward the RC download site. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Shame on you for not pointing him toward the RC download site.

Umm, you obviously have forgotten who you are talking to. :) What is the "RC Download Site"?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.microsoft...7/download.aspx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Had to download mine twice since the first one was corrupt. Installed it on a freshly formatted 40 gig hd I have and it is up and running with no problems.
Now just have to figure out how to get 5 drives in a IDE based system. Maybe it would be easier to buy a Bigger hd and partition it in half. One for XP Pro and one for Windows 7.
Hmmm is it possible to have 3 OS systems loaded and be able to boot to any?

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
This has to suck for torrent downloader’s. Well that’s what they get for downloading torrents. That’s why you should pay for things. :)

I already have my rc, I just need 90 more mbs of ram. :)

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 15 May 2009 - 09:40 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hey Rshaffer, there was a device I remember that allowed you to boot from one of three different HDs by pushing a button on the front of the computer. It may not even be made anymroe as I saw it like 4-5 years ago. The downside was the other two drive were invisible to the system.

Doh I feel old, make that 8 years ago.

http://www.hardocp.c...e.html?art=MTk3

or I am sure there is a way to make your own.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 15 May 2009 - 10:04 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can have as many OS's as you want, install each to it's own hard drive (with no other hard drives connected during installation) and then just use the BIOS boot drive selection to choose which one you want on bootup. :)

I think I did a tutorial on it using Ubuntu as a "hidden" install (because Windows doesn't read the linux hard drive format).

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
grub - grand unified bootloader, i boot w2k, xp, win7 and linux, without the need to touch the bios,

and just in case - linux driver for windows

its all out there