Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Right Click won't open folders in Start Menu

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hello.

I just had a problem occur after I used TweakUI. Nothing I did in TweakUI should have caused it (see below.)

Here's the problem:

When I right-click on a folder in the Start Menu (All Programs), Open and Explore don't work in the context menu anymore. I select Open and absolutely nothing happens. The other 4 items (delete, rename, sort, properties) DO work.

Also, the right-click Open command works everywhere else, It opens folders on the desktop and it opens (runs) programs in the Start menu. It just won't open folders in the Start Menu anymore.

I'd like to know how to fix this. I installed the program ShellExView, but I'm not certain if I should use that, and if so, what I should change.

For the record, in Tweak UI, I unchecked a bunch of programs that are allowed to appear in the Most Frequently Used Programs section of the Start menu.

I'm using Windows XP SP3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I just had a problem occur after I used TweakUI

Tried System Restore?

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
No, I didn't do a Sytem Restore yet because after creating my last System Restore point, I installed a bunch of programs. And believe it or not, I was about to create a new System Restore Point yesterday, when this problem occurred.

I didn't want to do a System Restore right now because then I'll lose all the configuration and registry settings from all the new programs I installed.

I figured getting the Open command to work again was a quick fix. Do you have any suggestions for fixing it?

Thanks.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 13 May 2009 - 04:39 AM.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I figured out how to fix the problem myself. For the benefit of others, here's how to fix it.

Download the free program ShellExView from here:
ShellExView Free Download

It displays and allows you to edit all the entries in the context menu handler, which is the right-click menu.

Usually the problem is with a non-Microsoft entry, so sort the list by company. Then look at all the non-Microsoft entries and disable them one at a time and see if it fixes the problem. When you find the one that fixes the problem, then keep it disabled.

I found it right away. There was an entry for Power Iso and that was the last program I had installed. So, I disabled its entry and Eureka, the right-click Open command now works on the folders in the Start Menu (All Programs) again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks for posting back :)
Now I should shot myself for not thinking about ShellExView :)

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi.

It's a good program and very handy to have around. If anyone else has the same problem, they should probably start with this program.

Thank for trying to help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad, it was a simple solution :)

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, Broni.

You're right. It's simple, but only if you know about the program. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
True....

zxy

zxy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
There is a version of PGP that will do the same thing. If you install it, after it has been on the machine for a while the right click will hang the computer in some windows. My Computer being the worst. You can get out of the loop by closing the window, but when you do, all your icons are gone.
Scary.
After a few seconds they start popping back up.
Stopping the PGP program will not fix it. Your best bet is to uninstall it.
Bout drove me nuts on the office machine. Could not delete files, check properties, etc.

J.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
That's good to know, zxy. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.