Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Are the error codes always the same?

Try going to display adapters and right clicking on NVIDIA GeForce 5200. Then select Properties and go to the Driver tab. Click on Uninstall driver.

Try using your computer normally in Safe Mode for a couple of days. Tell me if a BSOD pops up.

Advertisements

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I've actually been stable for two days...no BSOD.

What about internet access? Any ideas?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
For internet access, I am not so sure on how to move forward... but I want to be 100% sure that you are stable now, and that the BSODs won't return.
Download Prime95 from here: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Then read this article and choose a couple of tests to run: http://www.playtool....95/prime95.html
Run the tests for around 24-30 hours each, and report back any errors.

Download Aquamark from here: http://www.softpedia.../AquaMark.shtml
Run the benchmark for about an hour or less if it completes within an hour.
An alternative to Aquamark is Furmark from here: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
For Furmark, run a stability test at any resolution, but don't go too high. Let the test complete if it does (around 1 min. + with older cards), otherwise quit the test if no errors are present within 1 hour.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Will do...in the meantime, is Dan still in this thread? Can he help get me back on line. It sure would be a lot easier to run these tests if I had access.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Looking at his profile page he was last seen on the 21st of June, so I think he is still monitoring this thread, but wants the BSOD issue fixed first. It appears to be fixed, but I just wanted to do some stress testing to make sure that the BSOD is gone for good.
Once this is for sure under control, we can call back Dan and have him look at your networking problem.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Jones,

Does your machine connect directly to a modem, or does it go through a router? What type of connection do you have (cable, DSL, etc)?

The first step I'd recommend would be to re-install your network adapter; you may need your network adapter CD or drivers in order to complete this step.

Step 1 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.
Once your adapter is installed, attempt to connect to the Internet. If you still cannot, reset your TCP/IP and winsock stack (again).

Step 2 - Reset your Winsock and TCP/IP settings:
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh int ip reset reset.log
  • Once the above command completes, type netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Restart your computer.
- Dan

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Edge, computer tested out ok...no errors, no BSOD.

Dan, I'm using Cable internet. It was installed by the cable company and I have no idea about a network adapter CD or any drivers.

I really don't know anything about this stuff.

I don't think I go through a router. Under "networks" there is "LAN Connection" and "1394 Connection."

I am across the room from the cable connection, so I am plugged into a box that I think enables the connection to go through the home wiring across the room into the modem.

I did try bypassing that, and it doesn't change anything.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Edge, computer tested out ok...no errors, no BSOD.

You mean that you have run Prime95 for 24-30 hours and it didn't show any errors?
Which GPU stress test did you do, Furmark or Aquamark.
The BSOD problem seems to be taken care of now. Dan will continue and fix your networking problem.

Hope this gets solved! :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Often times your drivers will be located on your machine, usually somewhere on the C: drive or within the Windows folder, depending on how your machine was setup. Alternatively, you can download the drivers from the Internet; I'm not 100% certain, but these may be your drivers. You could therefore re-install your adapter with these.

A lot of the time Windows has a copy of your drivers cached on your machine, and will automatically re-install the drivers. Or, you may have a recovery disk or partition on your machine.

While you're looking for your drivers, ensure the following services are running on your machine.
  • Click Start, select Run, type services.msc and press OK
  • In this new window, please make sure all of the following services have a status of Started:
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Workstation
- Dan

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Thanks, Dan, I'll get on all that tomorrow.

Edge, I only ran Prime for 6 hours...I noticed afterward that you were supposed to run it longer. Should I do it again? Will I get a terrible electric bill?

I ran Aquamark and it said: GFX 918 CPU 8556 Total 8706.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Dan, these drivers look correct.

Prime95 should be run for about 24-30 hours, but if you didn't get an error in the 1st 6 hours, then you appear to have a stable computer. I don't think it will get you an expensive electric bill, but you don't need to do the test again. If you have has no BSODs, that is fixed. :)

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Dan, I reinstalled the driver for the LAN connection, but not the 1394 connection as I don't know what that is.

I rebooted, and the LAN connection was re-installed and labelled "LAN Connection 2."

All of the services had a status of "Started."

Still no luck. Got a message something like "Unable to assign network address," then when I tried to repair, I got the usual "unable to renew ip address."

No connection.

Edited by jones082, 26 June 2009 - 10:47 AM.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Any ideas?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am sorry for the long delay jones082
Dan has not been here since the 24th of June.

You can try posting this in the Networking Forum here: http://www.geekstogo...orking-f11.html
Be sure to add a link to this thread.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Something else you can try...
Click on Backup Files Without Windows in my sig and follow the directions to make and boot from a Ubuntu Live Cd. Then try connecting and browsing the internet from there. You are connected with a wired line right?