Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Ironside

Ironside

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think I inadvertently put the wrong power lead into my external hard drive and now it's not working. The external hard drive is off by Hewlett-Packard media Centre, the power lead is I think of a Hewlett-Packard laptop and they both have the same Jack plug which is why it fitted perfectly. If this is the case, is the hard drive completely knackered?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
There is a good chance the hard drive and your data are fine, but the enclosure itself might be toast.

If you look on both power supplies, there should be small image icons of the plugs, and they should show what voltage is on which plug contact. If the two are different, you may have damaged the enclosure - and hopefully only the enclosure.

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes, I did actually check that and the powersupply is 18 volts, the external HD requires 12V. I know it was a stupid thing to do but both power leads look exactly the same. Anyway, that's good news that there is still hope that I can retrieve the data, I am not worried about the hard drive, that's easy to replace, however I can't replace the data.

So what next? It seems to be a sealed unit

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

It seems to be a sealed unit

I suspect it snaps together and you need 3 hands and a strategically placed tongue to pry open the case to access the actual drive. The drive "should" be a standard PC or notebook drive.

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So, do you think it is fixable?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
IF the drive was not damaged by the wrong power supply, and you are able to get the case open, I think you should be able to install that drive into another enclosure, or into another computer.

Note when reading the power supply specifications, it is not just the voltage ("18") that matters, it is the type voltage, AC or DC, and if DC, the polarity on the center pin, positive or negative. So typically a power supply will specify the output something like +12VDC, or 17VAC. They usually specify a current value in milliamperes too.