Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP/Microsoft/DirectX9 Problem!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

guest006

guest006

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I do have DirectX9c installed, and some of the old PC games DO require it, right? I am trying to play "The Sims 2" and "Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum", which require DirectX9. As I try to open them, it either says "cannot find DirectX9" or something similar to that, BUT I DO have DirectX9 installed. This problem just recently occurred, I was able to play those games very well until I removed that little "Microsoft genuine software counterfeit" problem I was having. Now everything seems to have gone wrong and flip upside down. I've tried to reboot, re-install DirectX9, and re-install those games! But nothing seems to have worked. Well, if you can't picture the problem I am having. I have posted a video on YouTube about my problem. No one seemed to have answered so far. SO watch it if you need to AND DO please help. Please. :)

Link:

Advertisements

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
^^^Please Read It All AND HELP!!! :)^^^

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
Did you try installing that?

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
^^^Yeah, I already tried that. All it does is just updates the DirectX to it's latest version. But I do have the latest version, DirectX9 c, so it had no effect whatsoever. But it still doesn't work. Just the same problem, if you watched the video then you know what I'm talking about.... :)^^^

Edited by guest006, 12 May 2009 - 05:56 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes, I saw that video and don't know what is causing this problem.
Can you try some other games and see if they will run?

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yes, I saw that video and don't know what is causing this problem.
Can you try some other games and see if they will run?

You see, it does affect all games that require DirectX9. I do have another PC game, "The Sims 2" and it was working fine before along with "RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum" until all of a sudden. I had no idea what to do after I tried all my solutions, I just needed to ask for help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any new software installed
Any updates software or hardware
Are these burned copies of the games or store bought
Uninstall directx and reinstall it

Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
^^^I don't think it is legal to be uninstalling DirectX9. Well, it may be legal, but I don't think it's safe. There is no way to uninstall it, but they have this program, it's not claimed by Microsoft, that you could uninstall DirectX9, but it says "Uninstall At Your Own Risk" So I don't really know what it'll do if I uninstall it.. And I'm really not that kind of person that could get a PC in no time. So I don't think I would want to take any chances until I actually hear that it IS safe to do.^^^

Edited by guest006, 13 May 2009 - 02:53 PM.

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Any other suggestions/solutions anyone could think of???? Please Help.. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

You need to uninstall DirectX 9 if you encounter one of the following errors when you try to run games on your computer:

The game requires a later version of Microsoft DirectX.

The version of DirectX that is installed on the computer is incompatible with the game.
One of the DirectX files was not found.

I know that there is no official uninstallaion method. But, I think deleting Direct X manually would be the best way to go.
http://www.instant-r...tall-directx-9/
I don't trust that 100% so wait for another reply before you try it. Or backup your drive before trying it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Skip it and go on to the Everest report

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Skip it and go on to the Everest report

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer HOME-143023D448
Generator Williams
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-05-13
Time 20:37

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name HOME-143023D448
User Name Williams

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 515, 2933 MHz (22 x 133)
Motherboard Name Asus PTGD1-LA (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory 503 MB
BIOS Type AMI (08/27/04)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
Video Adapter Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 900
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (F5WZ4A307373U)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
SCSI/RAID Controller AD66KS51 IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST3160023AS (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Optical Drive ASUS CD-S480/AH (48x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive LMVC HEJ0TE3 SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 147840 MB (109354 MB free)
H: (FAT32) 4767 MB (837 MB free)
Total Size 149.0 GB (107.6 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (68.9.164.240)
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

guest006

guest006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

You need to uninstall DirectX 9 if you encounter one of the following errors when you try to run games on your computer:

The game requires a later version of Microsoft DirectX.

The version of DirectX that is installed on the computer is incompatible with the game.
One of the DirectX files was not found.

I know that there is no official uninstallaion method. But, I think deleting Direct X manually would be the best way to go.
http://www.instant-r...tall-directx-9/
I don't trust that 100% so wait for another reply before you try it. Or backup your drive before trying it.

I'll try that last IF there is no other solution..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Problem one I see is:
System Memory 503 MB 512 is barely enough to run XP and programs. I suggest you:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Next do the following:

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd(Seagate). Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

Third then do:

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also I'm not aware of this issue:
" I was able to play those games very well until I removed that little "Microsoft genuine software counterfeit" problem"
Was this another issue GTG helped with as I don't find any other topics from you?

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 May 2009 - 06:50 PM.