Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help choosing some hardware.

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I have chosen these

Processor- Intel but which one? I got eyes on quad core which is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz Socket 775 1066MHz 8MB (2x4MB(4MB per core pair)) L2 Cache OEM Processor £139.15

Motherboard-XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Graphics card-Sapphire HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

RAM-Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 2.1V

hard disk-Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM

Case-Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case - High Air Flow Design - No PSU

Power supply- Help! dunno which watt to get

CD/RW drive- Will decide to choose later or as i can take it out from old pc and stick it onto this one to install the OS then put it back onto the old one.

Sound card- Depends on how much money im left with.

Price excluding processor, soundcard, cd drive and power supply £409.61

My budget in mine £600 ( can be extended a bit )

oh ya any wires i need to get?

Edited by reload147, 12 May 2009 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I have chosen these

Processor- Intel but which one? I got eyes on quad core which is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz Socket 775 1066MHz 8MB (2x4MB(4MB per core pair)) L2 Cache OEM Processor £139.15

Depends on what you are planning on do with the system. IF you are going to do a lot of CPU intensive multitasking items (like video editing, encoding, decoding type deal) then the quad. If you are just planning on basic use with some gaming then the C2D E8400+ is fine. (The E8400 can hit speeds in excess of 4.2ghz. I know But each user has there own experience with OC'ing)

Motherboard-XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Are you planing on doing an SLi in the future? Or Cross Fire? You got 2 complely different setups. While that ATI card will work with that motherboard you selected you won't be able to do a ATI Crossfire Configuration. And in order to do SLi you need a nVidia 8800 GT or newer to support SLi. (Both SLi and Crossfire require 2 cards.) Think now, to make sure you get the right motherboard / Gfx Card to suit your needs today and tomorrow!

Power supply- Help! dunno which watt to get

good choices so far, with the PSU for a non-sli/crossfire system look for atleast a 500w. For an SLi/Crossfire system look at least for a 700w. I have the Corsair 1000watt PSU and I love it, it is the HN1000W. (corsair also makes a 650, 700, 850 IIRC) Either way for a PSU look for one that has enough PCI-E plugs (2 min more the better)

CD/RW drive- Will decide to choose later or as i can take it out from old pc and stick it onto this one to install the OS then put it back onto the old one.

Price excluding processor, soundcard, cd drive and power supply £409.61

My budget in mine £600 ( can be extended a bit )

oh ya any wires i need to get?

If you get an OEM CPU you will need to buy a HSF and Thermal Compound as it wont come with it like it does retail. The motherboard should come with the necessary cables to hookup your HD,CD-Drive.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
the processor you recommened and this quad core one is same price O_o which one is better? I do gaming and multi tasking :)
I preety much liked this ATI graphics card and it's FPS on games shown on youtube. Which Nvidia graphics card is similar to this?
Or motherboard that supports ATI crossfire.

This supports crossfire Oo
Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

I love ATI so i'll go with the above motherboard :)

I choose this psu
Corsair 750W TX PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

so...

Power supply- Corsair 750W TX PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

Total price-£547.77

so, last help on processor plz :)

Edited by reload147, 13 May 2009 - 01:55 AM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
From what I have seen the C2D are good for gaming. If the quad is the same price get it, I would of gotten the Quad when I built mine but was a touch to expensive at the time for me.

Just remember to add a heat sink and fan plus some thermal compound if you get a OEM CPU.

Get the Quad it is more future proof.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ty :) will buy it soon :)
im excited.