Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doubleclick removal [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jnvan

jnvan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Windows XP, with McAfee, Spybot, Ad-Aware. I use Internet Explorer 7 and noticed it becoming slow recently. I started watching the address line at the bottom of the IE window and saw a lot of activity involving ad.doubleclick.net. I Googled it and found a lot of info about how to delete the cookies from doubleclick but nothing about how to stop the communication from my PC to doubleclick. Spybot and AD-Aware scan and tell me I have a problem with doubleclick but when I click on "Fix the Problem" nothing happens. I have added the line "127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net" to my hosts file (without the .txt extension) but that does nothing. I have blocked doubleclick.net but that, too, does nothing. Does anyone know how to get rid of this pest?

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello jnvan,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

You may have used Malwarebytes before. If you have, and still have it on your machine, please update and run. Post the scan report back here.

If you do not have Malwarebytes please download from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Next

Posted ImageClick here to download HJTInstall.exe
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
When your return please post
  • Hijackthis log
  • MBAM scan results

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.