Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Dimension won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

leanhk

leanhk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 (several years old) and today it stopped booting up. It's used in my classroom (I'm a teacher) and one of my students brought it to my attention. He said he accidently turned it off, and now it won't boot back up. I tried running diagnostics on it by pushing F12. Here are my results:

Drive 0: WD800JD-75LSA0 - Pass
Drive 1: No device
Drive 2: No device
Drive 3: No device
Drive 4: GCR-8483B - Diagnostics not supported
Drive 5: Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S - Diagnostics not supported.

The LED lights on the back (listed A B C D) are all lit green, leading me to think it's not the hard drive (I guess?)

It will not get pass the loading "Dell" screen when I hit "start windows normally"

When I try to boot in SAFE MODE or SAFE MODE WITH CMD PROMPT, a long list appears in black and white and it goes no further. The first item on the list looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ohci1394.sys

all the other lines that follow it say the same thing until the last section that i bolded

I even tried inserting an XP reinstallation CD but nothing happened.

What should I do??

Thank you so much for reading this!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

leanhk

leanhk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the tip...

when i started loading from the disk, I got to a blue screen message that read:

"Set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3"

Which I did and I find myself exactly where I was last stuck.

Please help!

Thank you

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yep, you may have HD problem...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi tools.