Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wlan ip reset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cbebop

cbebop

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys,
joined this forum cause i got a question for all the geeks out there :)
Ok i got a notebook, dell 1735. im connected to the net via an arcor wlan router. my question is:
Is there any chance to get an "IP reseter" or something to download? i dont want to walk half the house to the router to reset my notebooks IP everytime...
So far, i tried "net stop dhcp-client" - "net start dhcp-client" --> "no access granted" and "ipconfig/renew" in cmd, but nothing worked =(
You got a command or a programm to reset my IP? =)
Glad with every answer, bebop

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

Try this command you look like you were on the right track, but missed a step.(If you use Vista "run as administrator")

At the command screen

Type: ipconfig /release

Then type: ipconfig /renew

That should take care of your problem

Good luck :)

Cbarnard

cbebop

cbebop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
arghs i am the only user and its just one profile called "daniel" and daniel is automatically the only administrator, but they say i need more rights to do this =/ can u help me? =)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
This should help

click the Start> All Programs> Accessories> right-click Command Prompt> and select Run as administrator.

Then perform the commands

keep me posted

Good luck

Cbarnard

cbebop

cbebop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Accessories got attributes: write-protected, i cant change command and when i uncheck write-protected from accessories and press apply, it seems to work but as soon as i close the window, the protection is autorefreshing itself and i am not able to change command.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok

reboot the computer into Safe Mode with networking

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

select Safe Mode with networking...

Then go to CMD

and

Try the 2 commands

Good luck this should do it

Cbarnard

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why are you trying to renew your IP on your laptop so often?

also your topic title says WLAN ip....are you wanting to refresh your PUBLIC IP? or the LAN ip?

cbebop

cbebop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@cbarnard: this doesnt solve my problem, if i have to restart the pc everytime in safe mode i can also go to the router and restart it, still way faster...

@dsenette: i mean a "wlan" - "ip reseter" meant i can change the ip of my notebook via wlan preventing me from goin to the router and reset it everytime, you know what i mean? i cant answer your question bout public or lan ip cause of lacking knowledge but i mean the ip which changes by restarting the router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
public is the one the internet sees...private is the one on your internal network...

the question remains...why are you having to change ip's?

cbebop

cbebop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
this isnt a necessary fact is it?^^ think i mean the public one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually it is

cbebop

cbebop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
why is it? is it your task to prevent me from doing something illegal which i am not doing? if so, i asked for a guide as explanation only, no purpose in doin so-.- i dont know why you should need to know ;D besides the fact it is nothing harmful or illegal, why do you need to know?^^

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's nothing harmful or illegal then why are you putting up such a stink answering the question? it's a simple question with a simple answer...you can't honestly think it's in your best interest to not give information when asking for help....how are we supposed to accurately help you with limited information?

cbebop

cbebop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
just liked the little banter in here. sorry :)
megavideo unregistered users can view 72 minutes a day, after a router reset my ip has changed and i got another 72 minutes. thats all...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so in other words you're attempting to get around a restriction put in place by a website? i.e. "this isn't a free service....so you get limited viewing...if you want to remove these limits you need to pay"

We here at Geeks To Go cannot help you get around any sort of administrative restrictions imposed on a School, Work, or any other network not owned and operated by yourself. These restrictions can include (but are not limited to): Website Blocking policies, Software Installation policies, Email retention policies, Software Configuration policies, Network/Internet usage policies, Network Configuration policies, Forum or Chat Room Bans, Game Server Bans, or any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question. Any actions by members of the Geeks To Go site that would be offered to help in this manner would directly violate the [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/boardrules.html"%20target="_blank">http://www.geekstogo...drules.html</a>"] TOS [/url]of this site.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin.