Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change IP with router! HELP ME

• Please log in to reply

HelpMeChangeIP

HelpMeChangeIP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello people,
So I'll start off my explaining my situation to you I guess. I am running Windows XP, have a modem (WRT54G), and my ISP is Cox. I can not change my IP adress, and have been trying for some time now. If anyone knows a guide that will help me that would be great, or if you could just explain it to me ^^ Thanks

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Why would you want to change your IP address? Also, this should be posted in the Networking section.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ISP's assign the ip address dynamically, unless you pay more for a static address. Normally, you end up keeping the same ip address for long periods of time. So, in order to renew the ip address you have to unplug your router for about an hour and then plug it back in. It should then obtain a new ip address.

However, if your trying to get around a block or ban, this will probably not work. Especially if your banned by punkbuster.

curious as to why you want to change your ip?