Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer still running SLOW

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yes. It doesn't?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
CNET's review of Carbonite Backup reveals that the high CPU usage is "part" of the program. Did you notice the sluggishness of your computer after using Carbonite?

Some downsides we encountered were the high CPU usage and the long initial back-up. Any logging out activity, such as a screensaver session that needs a password to end, will stall the back up process.

http://download.cnet...4-10556998.html

EDIT: It seems that this problem is not malware related, from looking at his topic. He has been declared clean.

Edited by edge2022, 25 May 2009 - 12:35 AM.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
It wasn't that bad when I first had carbonite on there, no. :-/ My computer is definitely doing better, so big time thanks. But, it's still running slow. :) At least it's not taking 2 hours to send an email, though. lol

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You should consider some better backup options, like:

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best

Free alternatives:
- DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.o...veimage-xml.htm
- SelfImage: http://www.excelcia....N...icle&sid=21
- Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Acronis really would work well, if you wanted to pay for it.

Another free alternative is CloneZilla. It is a backup program that runs as a Live CD, so you can restore backups even when Windows won't boot. The downside is that you have to set aside some time for backing up. It doesn't run inside Windows.
http://clonezilla.org/
You will find many great tutorials at their site.

If you are going to use DriveImage XML, I suggest you also create a UBCD for Windows, so that you can restore images even if Windows doesn't boot.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
There are tutorials on the site. You need a Windows CD to make the UBCD for Windows.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Well, carbonite should only be taking up cpu when it's backing up right? It only backs up a few minutes a day. I think there was a problem because during the last couple of weeks it was not making contact with their site even though it said it was backing up. It was frozen. :-/

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

It only backs up a few minutes a day

Maybe it should, but it doesn't.
There is something wrong with the installation, because every time I see the log, Carbonite is using serious amount of CPU.
Now, you know what's going on, and it's all in your hands.
Uninstall/reinstall, get rid of it, etc...

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Carbonite, and see if it helps the problem go away.
If not, there are many other better backup solutions.

I think there was a problem because during the last couple of weeks it was not making contact with their site even though it said it was backing up. It was frozen. :-/

I don't know what could have been stopping it from connecting, other than your firewall. What firewall/AV suite do you use?

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I use AVG, but I've already been through that with Carbonite help a while back so they should be compatible now. I've contacted their help but have to wait for them to contact me back. :-/

What makes those other backups better just out of curiosity? I don't see how any could be free, they have to pay for their storage somehow right?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First of all, I'm getting little bit tired of you doubting any of our replies.
I don't want to sound rude, but if you know better...

We keep telling you, Carbonite IS your problem, and you have to deal with it one way, or another.
Secondly, backing your data on-line is not really good idea.
Thirdly, if I propose 4 other backup options in my reply #19, and I say 3 of them are free, that means THEY ARE free.
If you at least checked those links, you'd know, that those programs don't store anything on-line, so they don't have to pay for any storage.

Now, I think, I did give you enough advice, and enough options, so you have things to think about, and things to do.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Carbonite IS your problem

That is your issue. Make a decision.
All the programs Broni talked about, and CloneZilla are 100% free. The storage used is physical media like a hard drive or flash drive.

What makes those other backups better just out of curiosity?

#1. They won't cause your computer to run slow, which is your problem in the first place.
#2. Many of them are free
#3. The backups that some of those programs generate are more easier to use than online backup. For example, if Windows refused to boot, you would have to reinstall Windows and then reinstall Carbonite Backup, to restore your drive. With the other progs suggested, like DriveImage XML and CloneZilla, you just have to boot from a CD, and restore the backup.

Hope you take our advice, and that your computer will run faster. :)

Edited by edge2022, 25 May 2009 - 09:00 PM.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Sorry, I'm not meaning any offense, I'm just trying to understand. I've read the clonezilla site and still a bit confused. So it clones to one of your other harddrives? I have many harddrives that I use because I have so many video files and old stuff, so I don't have room for any others, especially as many as it would take to clone them. :-/

The thing I'm curious about is if carbonite is supposed to be operating that much all the time. From my understanding, it's only supposed to do it's backup a few minutes a day and the rest of the time not cause any problems. I know it's causing problems now because there's something wrong with it which I'm waiting on carbonite's help center to contact me back about. I'm just trying to figure out if you know for sure that they are lying when they say it only runs a few minutes a day, or if you are just basing that on the logs I put which are the result of it locking up. That's all I'm saying, I don't mean any disrespect at all I promise! :)

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

The thing I'm curious about is if carbonite is supposed to be operating that much all the time. From my understanding, it's only supposed to do it's backup a few minutes a day and the rest of the time not cause any problems.

Just a quick little note...I just removed Carbonite from an Acer mini laptop that I serviced for tech issues, and the CPU usage went from 64% down all the way to 1%.

The computer I operated on was running an Intel Atom at 1.6 GHz and 1 GB RAM. Carbonite is a resource hog. I replaced that person's backup with iDrive backup, which allows you to have 12 GB free storage online.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 26 May 2009 - 08:45 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If CloneZilla is confusing, use DriveImage XML.
From DragonMaster Jay's response, we can confirm that Carbonite is the issue you are dealing with.
If you need help with a specific backup software, please feel free to ask your questions. :)

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hmmm...I wonder if I can just disable it when I'm using the computer and enable it when I'm not. It doesn't seem to be using any cpu when disabled.