Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer still running SLOW

• Please log in to reply

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
BTW, I checked out Driveimage as well but I'm still confused. Where does it store the backup info?

With Carbonite, if your computer is stolen, burned, dropped, broken, etc. you can still get the info. If you accidently changed or deleted something you can go back to a previous version of the file even if you've made several changes over a length of time. Can you do that with Driveimage or Clonezilla?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Can you do that with Driveimage or Clonezilla?

Yes. I suggest you get an external drive (about 750Gb) for storage and for holding your backup files. This will ensure that (if you store all your important data on the external drive) you will have all you need so that if necessary you can even resort to a format and reinstall.

Where does it store the backup info?

It stores the backup file at a directory that you specify. Like F:\Backup Files
Assume that F: is my external drive.

Hmmm...I wonder if I can just disable it when I'm using the computer and enable it when I'm not. It doesn't seem to be using any cpu when disabled.

This is a workaround for your issue. If you wish to continue using Carbonite Backup, then this will work for you.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

With Carbonite, if your computer is stolen, burned, dropped, broken, etc. you can still get the info. If you accidently changed or deleted something you can go back to a previous version of the file even if you've made several changes over a length of time. Can you do that with Driveimage or Clonezilla?

Not to throw you in a different direction, because Edge and Broni have control of this, but
iDrive online backup will allow you to save essentials online and obtain that information at any time on any machine. iDrive is handy and the best replacement for Carbonite. You should also consider using Windows XP Backup.

My quicklist of backup tools.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for those great suggestions DragonMaster Jay. :)
Feel free to chime in whenever you want.

To Hoodleehoo:
We have provided you with many tools that can do the job. If you need assistance with any of those backup utilities, then ask away. :)

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks! My internet is still slow at times, is there a reason for that? (carbonite is disabled) I know internet connections sometimes are slower than others, but it seems more than that. I use firefox so that might have something to do with it, but some pages take forever to load and it locks the entire window up until it does so.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
How are you connecting to the internet? With a wireless reciever, or wired? Does the issue with Firefox replicate itself on other browsers? Try Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ty-t210691.html
http://www.geekstogo...ity-t80153.html

Check those two great helpful articles and try some solutions in there!

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I'll def check out those links! Don't get me started on ie, it's even worse problems. I can't even get ie to load half the time!

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Don't get me started on ie, it's even worse problems. I can't even get ie to load half the time!

What version of Internet Explorer are you running. If you were to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8, I am sure those troubles about IE would go away.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try Chrome then.
Upgrading to IE 8 might help.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Another online backup option if you decide to investigate is Mozy. I have a lot of business clients that use the Pro version but the Home is free and up to 2GB. Not sure how much you need to backup, but a free 2GB should be sufficient for important documents, spreadsheets and whatnot. http://mozy.com/home

As for a local backup solution, all of the solutions provided already are excellent options and each should be investigated by you to determine your needs and the best solution possible. My personal choice is Acronis, it has worked great for me.