Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start up trouble

• Please log in to reply

saxyfil

saxyfil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Big fat problem with my computer. I bought and built, with the help of a friend, an AMD 64x computer. I installed windows XP home on it and it worked fine for about 2 months. After 2 months, I found that I would leave it running, and come back to it about half an hour later, and the screen would have gone in to power saving mode, and I could turn it back on, but the screen that appeared told me to re-activate it using the computer, which did not work, so I had to hard reset it everytime.

After about 1 month more of this I hard reset it one time, and found that when I turned it back on, my computer went on to the "loading windows XP" screen, but after about 30 seconds on that, the bar would stop moving, and the screen would turn off again. I could turn it on in safe mode still, but after about a week, even this did not work.

I re-installed windows, and it worked fin again for about another 2 months, only for the same thing to happen again.

After repeating this process several times, I heard that installing windows XP SP 2 on some motherbaords makes this sort of thing happen, so you need to get a new BIOS.

So after it stopped working again, I re-installed windows, but not SP2. This lasted for about 3 months, but eventually the same thing happened again.

After re-installing windows again, I used a program that comes with my motherboard (K8T Neo) which flashs a new BIOS whilst in windows, so i coulnt screw it up. However, the BIOS(newest one) did not seem new enough to help my motherboard, I can't remember the exact date on it, but I think it was 2001/2. Anyway, when I had this BIOS, I downloaded the updates from windows update that I needed, and the next day, my computer did the same thing (screen turned off when loading windows). I have tried uninstalling the components that I downloaded from windows update, but one of them needs to be not in safe mode to uninstall. Not funny.

Any help on anything I could try would be brilliant. I have considered getting the trial version of windows for 64x, but I don't know if that will do the same thing.

Everything else worked on my computer perfectly, except this annoying, big problem.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

.... told me to re-activate it using the computer, which did not work, so I had to hard reset it everytime....

View Post

reactivate what? Windows, as in activation/anti-piracy?

saxyfil

saxyfil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, I mean reactivate the monitor using the pc. The screen says this
"Screen is in power saving mode,
Activate using PC"