Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot play Youtube anymore.

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sometimes rebooting SEVERAL times... will get the reluctant flash to start working

Advertisements

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Yes the "play animations in webpages" was checked.

Apparently I do have windows set to automatic updates.

I am currently downloading IE8 for windows XP.

I will reboot a couple of times in a couple of minutes when I have finished downloading IE8.

Edited by bluetown, 13 May 2009 - 02:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update :)

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have installed IE8 and all the updates and restarted 3 times.

Still cannot play youtube.

Do you know why Windows did not automatically tell me about updates for my PC?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure why Windows didn't update automatically for you. I have had that problem before but it fixed itself.
Are you running any firewall other then Windows?
If so you may have to add Microsofts update to the acceptable list to it so that it will allow it to work correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have your Windows cd?
We can try to do a SFC /SCANNOW and repair any windows files that may be missing or corrupted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may or may not work but it's worth a try.

lets try adjusting the security settings manually;

to enable ActiveX for IE 6.x and 7.0 for Windows: you can do the following:

1. Click on "Tools" menu in the browser.
2. Select "Internet Options" from the pull-down menu."
3. Click on the "Security" tab on the top portion.
4. Click on the "Custom Level" button on the 'Internet' zone option.

You will see a scroll-down menu with radio buttons. Select the 'Enable' radio button for the following menu choices:

* Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins
* Script ActiveX Controls Marked Safe for Scripting

1. Click on the "Ok" button to exit and save.
2. Click on the "Ok" button again to exit out of Internet Options menu

Thanks Starjax for this

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I am not running any other firewall unless you count AVG anti virus free version which I have always had on the PC and it used to allow me to play Youtube.

Yes I have my Windows CD. But I am not confident with trying SFC /SCANNOW
I feel like I am getting out of my depth now and do not want to mess things up, at least everything else is working now.

"lets try adjusting the security settings manually;

to enable ActiveX for IE 6.x and 7.0 for Windows: you can do the following:"

I took a look in tools, options, security tab, but the menu is different because I downloaded IE 8 last night.

I will leave it now. I ordered a new hard drive a couple of days ago becuase I want to upgrade from my 5400rpm 17GB to a 160GB 7200rpm so I will have to install my Windows CD and everything again so will try to sort it out then.

Thanks for your help and time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for letting us know. This topic will remain open to give you a chance to get the new HD and in case you have any other questions.
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
For some reason I am able to play Youtube now, fantastic. Thank-you. :)

I will let you know how installing the new hard drive goes, should get it the end of next week.

I have one question if you don't mind.

When I take out the old hard drive and install the new one and press the start button on the tower I am hoping the hard drive will be automatically recognised and that I can just insert my Windows XP CD and install it like that.

But in case the hard drive is not automatically recognised and I have to go into BIOS by clicking the delete button on the keyboard (I have never attempted this before), how do I get back out of BIOS?
Is it just a matter of pressing the start or reset button on the tower?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First you will need to set the boot sequence and to do that just follow these steps.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.
Follow the prompts or if you need assistance I will help.

When Windows is done loading then redo the steps above and make the Main Drive the first boot and the CDrom the second boot option.
Don't forget to press F10 to Save and Exit and then Y to verify

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks very much.

I am going to print that post out now so that I can follow those instructions closely.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome. That will get you in and out of the Bios safely every time. Good luck and please let us know how everything goes with the new drive. :) :) :) :)

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
My new Hard disk arrived this morning.
I managed to take the old one and and fit the new one, connected back up and started the PC.

It automatically recognised the hard drive and started to inspect the hardware configuration, while doing that the green light was flashing on the CD drive where I had my windows XP home edition CD.

Then I was asked to click enter if I wished to install the CD, which I did but I get the message
"setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid windows CD."

I did buy this CD a in 2005 or 2006 from a shop and I have the product key so I assumed it was vaild.

I kept trying, taking out the CD and re inserting but that same problem, the hardware configuration seems ok but xp wont install.

So I swapped the drives back over again to type this.

2 questions,
1) Any ideas what I can do about this problem?
2) You mentioned formatting or cleaning the new disk drive, when and how should I do this (before xp installation?)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The format and partition takes place when you install XP on the new Hard drive.
What I would suggest is just seeing if you can borrow another XP cd from a friend. Make sure it is the same flavor as what you have..IE Home or Pro
The Reg key is all that stays with your system and the cd can be from anywhere. If the cd you have is scratched or dirty try using a gentle liquid soap or window cleaner to wash it off. Make sure to use a lint free towel to wipe it off.