Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot play Youtube anymore.

• Please log in to reply

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
My windows XP cd works fine with this old hard drive installed.
Surely if it was scratched or damaged it would not work?
It has only ever been used once and stored carefully on my desk in it's original package.

I have been looking at the contents of the disk (something I never did before because I payed someone to install it last time).

I am in a new area and have nobody I can borrow a disc from.

Nothing ever works out!

Is there a way I can find out what my PC is currenlty using NTFS or FAT?

Edited by bluetown, 19 May 2009 - 07:44 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is XP i can almost guarantee it's NTFS
To check it go to
Start and then Run

Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
In the Left Window click on Disk management
In the Right Window your Hard Rive will appear showing what [b]File System it is formatted with

I have included a screenshot to show you.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 May 2009 - 08:11 AM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I wanted to check the file type because after fitting the new disk drive I was reading what was quickly flashed on the screen and was sure it said FAT files.

after compmgmt.msc it shows 16.4GB NTFS healthy system

Would this have anything to do with my Windows CD not loading on the new drive?

I just went to see if the XP CD would play on this old drive but got
"setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the CD"

How? I have not installed anything since XP. Does it mean because I have downloaded the automatic updates as they are sent?

Setup cannot continue becuase upgrade functionality is disabled and your copy of Windows XP only allows upgrades".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"How? I have not installed anything since XP. Does it mean because I have downloaded the automatic updates as they are sent?"

Yes the updates will make the Original disk older then what is installed. This however will have no bearing on installing to a new hd. Once installed you will have to get all the updates again anyway.

Is your cd a upgrade or full version?

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I am not sure.
On the 3 page orange (front) and green (back) folder it says
Microsoft Windows XP home edition.
On the back "version 2002"

I understand that it came with service pack 2.
I was using Windows 98 before.

Edited by bluetown, 19 May 2009 - 08:52 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Probably a full version from what you are describing.
Did you change the Boot Sequence in the Bios to boot to the cdrom first before attempting the installation?

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
No I did not.

I thought I would try and see if the new disk drive was recognised, which it was.
I had the CD in the drive and it was all going well.

Would that be worth me trying?

But I was thinking if I did that and the windows CD could not be read again, would I be stuck in that mode?
Or would I still be able to get into BIOS and change the settings back?

Editing to add that I have just read the front of the CD, it says.

Upgrade
Windows xp home edition version 2002

Edited by bluetown, 19 May 2009 - 09:14 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can enter BIOS before anything starts with the system. That is the first thing you see when the system first starts up is the Post Screen where you do the following:

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.
Follow the prompts or if you need assistance I will help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am not sure.

nope...version 2002 didn't even have SP 1...if it came with any SP's at all it will say which SP right on the install cd

Edited by happyrock, 19 May 2009 - 11:41 AM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I am not sure.

nope...version 2002 didn't even have SP 1...if it came with any SP's at all it will say wich SP right on the install cd

Yes, it says "includes service pack 2" on the disc.

Afetr clicking the delete button to get into BIOS, I went to advanced and there was no boot sequence or boot options, just a long list which could be enabled or disabled.
So I was going to copy them and ask which one to use but went back out of BIOS and it carried on setting up.

Out of curiosity I inserted my Windows 98 CD and it then partitioned my new hard drive.
It then asked for my XP cd and it then Formatted it and I have now installed it fully.

It's strange, in control panel it looks different, not so many things to click on.

I am now trying to get internet connection.

I use a wired Netgear Router which was installed in a shop where I used to live.
I do have a driver so I assume I need to install that.
I get so far and then it says "no cable or router detected".

Is there anything else I need to do to get connected?
I just looked in control panel (with this old HD), internet options, and the Connections box is empty and I have not added anything to the programmes page.

In network connections (old HD) I have a Local area connection 5 connected Realtek Rtl-8139d PCI Fast Ethernet

But I cannot install this on my new hard drive because when I insert the small disc that came with the ethernet card there is no option to install it.
When I click open 15 files are revealed but I can't work out how to intall it.

Edited by bluetown, 19 May 2009 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
XP's Control Panel does look different by default. You can change it to look like the old Win 98 Control Panel if you like.
Am I to understand that your system is now running correctly with the new install?

For the ethernet card have you looked in Device Manager to see if the Realtek card is working or does it have a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Unless the CD driver has been installed, it doesn't get recognized. That might be the problem. Just something I was thinking about and had happen to me on a new drive/install.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

XP's Control Panel does look different by default. You can change it to look like the old Win 98 Control Panel if you like.
Am I to understand that your system is now running correctly with the new install?

For the ethernet card have you looked in Device Manager to see if the Realtek card is working or does it have a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

Thanks, I have changed the look of control panel.

Yes my system is running now with XP and service pack 3.
I am online now after going to device manager as you said.

I have had a couple more windows updates but I am missing HEM player which was in my programmes before.
I use this sometimes but do not remember downloading it from anywhere so assume it was a windows update, do you know?

Also in control panel, display, setting, screen resolution, it was too small at 1280x 1024 so I changed it to 1027x 765 which is a bit big.
There is no in between but I am sure it used to be.

Now I have got everything (except HEM player) on the new drive what is the safest way to dispose of the old one, I do not want anyone getting my bank details etc.

Edited by bluetown, 20 May 2009 - 06:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"Now I have got everything (except HEM player) on the new drive what is the safest way to dispose of the old one, I do not want anyone getting my bank details etc"

First Format and then Take out the Partitions on the old drive. This way any data will be wiped clean. To be real sure use it as target practice. :) :)

I'm not sure what HEM Player :)
I will continue to monitor this topic in case you have any other questions but for now I am very happy to be able to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 May 2009 - 07:13 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reson for edit: :)DOUBLE POST

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 May 2009 - 07:14 AM.